There’s just something special about the way music can take you to another place, motivate you, inspire you, make you laugh, make you cry and give you all the feels. In this post I’m going to share about my personal only good vibes playlist and how it came to be, plus I’ll share three reasons you should create your own playlist with motivational songs as well! Let’s do this!
Life after loss
After we miscarried at the end of 2018, to say I was in a funk is an understatement. I’d never experienced such profound grief in my life, and not just my own grief but also Justin’s grief and our shared grief. It was a lot. We did a lot of talking about our feelings, allowing ourselves to feel our pain, to cry, to laugh and go through all the emotions. It was probably the roughest patch of our life.
Trying to navigate a world that keeps turning when it felt like mine stopped was hard
I didn’t want to leave the house for quite a while. It was just hard to be around people who were out and about functioning as usual. I would see people moving about their day, and it was a harsh reminder that the world and everyone else’s lives had just been humming along while mine came to a complete standstill.
Pretty much every time I got in the car and listened to the radio while I was driving, some song would come on that would make me break down, and grief bubbled over in sobs. I would arrive wherever I set out to go feeling wrecked, like I wasn’t ready to face whoever I’d encounter, and honestly I was defeated before whatever I was supposed to do even started.
But then I realized I had more control than I thought
It finally dawned on me that I could control what I listened to while I drove. I know that’s a no-brainer, but really it didn’t occur to me even think about it. I realized though that I didn’t have to listen to the radio and be victim to whatever curveball it decided to throw my way. I decided to go home, make a playlist of only songs I loved, and songs that made me feel good, empowered or inspired or motivated. And from then on, that is all I listened to when I drove in the car…for months. I’d find myself listening to it at any time during the day when I started to feel down or like I could use a pick-me-up. It was a small, yet profound step in helping myself to rise again after our loss.
Here are some songs that are currently on my only good vibes playlist
- Glorious by Macklemore (really anything by Macklemore gets me pumped)
- Feeling Good by Nina Simone (this is the song that would be what plays in the background of my life as I go about my day if it were a musical)
- All Night by Big Boi
- Juke Jam by Chance the Rapper
- Blackbird by The Beatles (blackbirds are my sign the universe has my back)
- Stand by Me by Ben E. King (my all time favorite song)
- Simple by Florida Georgia Line
- Don’t Stop Believin’ by Journey
- And anything else that makes me feel good, strong, happy, etc.
3 reasons you should create your own Only Good Vibes Playlist
- Take control of your outlook and mood – you don’t have to just take what you can get like I did and absorb whatever the radio plays at you. Instead you can take control and set the tone and vibe you want for yourself. Choose the songs that make YOU feel like a champion.
- What you let your mind feed on, it will focus on – want to feel better, happier, stronger, etc.? Start listening to things that promote those feelings – an only good vibes playlist is a great way to do this. You could also find podcasts that are inspiring, uplifting and motivational.
- Use it as a way to get into the zone – feel amped and ready to conquer your day, tasks at hand, your workout or any other event you need a little boost for. Maybe it’s an interview or an important meeting. Or maybe you’re getting ready for a date. Whatever it is, listen to your only good vibes playlist of motivational songs to get into the zone and feel mentally prepared.
What are you waiting for, go make an only good vibes playlist of your own!
Go ahead…start making your playlist and listening to it everyday. See if you start to notice a difference in your mood and outlook. Do you feel stronger? Do you feel more at peace? Do you feel like you can tackle whatever life throws at you? Comment below, and let us know! Also, take a pic of your playlist to share on Instagram, and tag us @realsimplegood so we can check it out! And make sure to give us a follow if you don’t already. Let’s stay connected!
Like this Post?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!