This fresh and healthy burrata caprese salad is the perfect summer salad. Colorful heirloom tomatoes combined with fresh basil and creamy burrata cheese make this a deliciously extravagant tasting salad that’s ready in only 5 minutes.
Why you’ll love this fresh tomato recipe
Simple – Only 5 super-fresh ingredients and it’s plated and ready to serve in 5-minutes flat!
Versatile – You can serve it as a side salad with a summer dinner (here are some summer dinner ideas) or as an appetizer for a summer party or bbq.
Adjustable – We love the simple base recipe but it can also be adjusted for a completely different flavor with some simple ingredient additions or swaps. Some variation suggestions are noted in the recipe card below, our favorite is adding a drizzle of honey 🙂
More fresh and delicious salad recipes
Check out our complete roundup of 35+ sensational summer salad recipes!
Ingredients for this easy burrata caprese salad
- Burrata: A beautifully crafted fresh cheese, burrata has a soft shell wrapped around a creamy center. When cut open, the fresh cream in the center creates a blend of textures that are truly delightful to experience.
- Heirloom tomatoes: You can use any fresh tomatoes for this recipe, but heirlooms are the perfect pick. Fresh heirloom tomatoes in a variety of colors make this salad a visual treat.
- Fresh basil: You need a little fresh basil in each and every bite for a true caprese salad.
- Extra virgin olive oil: Clean a refreshing olive oil combines with all of the other flavors in this salad perfectly. A mild to medium tasting olive oil is recommended.
- Balsamic vinegar: Any balsamic will do, but a thick balsamic or balsamic reduction has a sweet, syrupy flavor that goes perfectly with the salty burrata.
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper: A dash of salt is great on the tomatoes but don’t overdo it as the burrata cheese will be salted as well. Fresh cracked pepper is optional but highly recommended.
- Serve the burrata whole – You’ll be tempted to cut into the cheese to see the ooey gooey center – but leave that for your guests/family to enjoy!
- Don’t plan on leftovers – This salad is best served fresh and eaten right away. You can store it in the fridge for a couple of days but it won’t be as fresh and delicious.
- Try the different options – A drizzle of honey is a must and the addition of some figs or sliced apricots make this a completely different tasting salad.
What to serve with caprese salad
This is a standout summer salad that can be served with any healthy grilling recipe. It also doubles as an appetizer for a party or any summer cookout.
Serve it with:
- Some Greek turkey burgers
- Any baked or grilled fish
- Korean BBQ chicken
- Some cilantro, garlic and lime shrimp kabobs
5-Minute Creamy Burrata Caprese
- 4 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 8 oz fresh burrata cheese
- fresh basil leaves
- olive oil, for drizzling
- balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
Optional additions or variations:
- fresh arugula
- drizzle of honey
- sliced peaches or other fruit
- chopped walnuts
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil leaves on a platter. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add ingredients from the variations list if desired.