This rich, creamy and tangy homemade keto tartar sauce is ready in about 5 minutes with only 5 ingredients! It’s the perfect low carb condiment for fish, seafood, fries and even chicken.
If you’re eating low carb and craving fish and chips, check out our gluten free fish and chips recipe! You can pair the fish with jicama fries instead of regular potato fries for the true fish and chip experience.
The ingredients in keto tartar sauce
Only a few simple ingredients combine to make this deliciously creamy and crunchy condiment. Here’s what you’ll need.
- Mayonnaise – You’ll need a sugar free mayo. Here’s an easy homemade mayo recipe or primal kitchen mayo is a great store bought option.
- Dill pickle – This is what gives tartar sauce it’s crunchy texture. I only like a little bit so the sauce is still creamy but you can add more if you want.
- Mustard – Plain old yellow mustard works great for this recipe, it gives the sauce a little bit of color and tangy flavor. Again, use a sugar-free version.
- Fresh dill – Fresh dill will give you the best flavor, but you can substitute dried dill in a pinch if needed.
- Lemon juice – Again, fresh squeezed is best for a crispy and tangy flavor. You can substitute apple cider vinegar if needed.
Looking for more keto sauces?
Check out this roundup of 10 essential keto sauces.
Common questions about this recipe
How many carbs in tartar sauce? In this low carb tartar sauce recipe, there are zero net carbs! Other store bought versions may have added sugar and much higher net carbs.
Is tartar sauce dairy free? Yes, this tartar sauce get’s the creamy texture from mayonnaise so it’s completely dairy-free and even gluten free too!
How long will this last in the fridge? You can this sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Can you freeze tartar sauce? No. Because of the oil content in the sauce you don’t want to freeze it, the ingredients will separate when frozen.
What to serve with homemade tartar sauce
- Any type of fish or healthy seafood recipe
- Extra crispy low carb jicama fries
- Some keto salmon patties
- Slather all over a keto burger
- With some low carb turkey meatballs
Your turn to make this easy low carb tartar sauce
Whip up a batch of this sauce the next time you need a tangy condiment for fish and chips or any keto protein! Once you try it, you’ll be making it over and over again.
If you try the recipe, be sure to add a comment and rating below to let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram and tag us @realsimplegood. We love to see what you’re making!
Easy Homemade Keto Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 tbsp diced dill pickle
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp dill
- 1 tsp lemon juice, (or sub apple cider vinegar)
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a bowl or jar and mix well. Serve as a dip or sauce for our gluten free fish & chips or any other recipe!