With a beautiful deep red color, this easy sun-dried tomato pesto is bursting with rich and intense flavor. Use it as a condiment for dipping and spreading or toss it with your favorite pasta for a uniquely vibrant flavor.
Pesto Rosso Ingredients
Italian for “red pesto”, pesto rosso is generally made with sun-dried tomatoes and a mix of fresh herbs and seasonings. This version includes:
- Sun-dried tomatoes – You can use just the dried tomatoes or the version packed in oil (see recipe notes).
- Raw cashews – These add some texture and mild flavor. You can substitute almonds or walnuts if desired.
- Fresh parsley and garlic – To add to the rich and fresh flavor.
- Seasonings – Seasoned simply with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. The red pepper is optional and see the recipe notes about salt.
- Lemon juice – Adds some tangy acid to balance out the pesto.
- Olive oil – Mild flavored extra virgin olive oil is best, see the recipe notes if you’re using sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil.
Storing sun-dried tomato pesto
This pesto can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a full week.
This recipe also freezes well (for up to 6 months) using either of these options:
- Simply freeze the whole batch (or leftovers in a jar, container or zip-top bag). Set the pesto in the refrigerator for a day to thaw before using.
- You can also spoon it into ice cube trays. Once frozen, pop the cubes out and place them in a container or zip-top bag. You now have individual portions of pesto you can pull out whenever you need them.
- As a dip for crackers, veggies, etc.
- Tossed with some zucchini noodles or any other type of pasta
- Spread thickly over a slice of bread or as a sandwich spread
- Mixed in with some roasted veggies
- Spread over chicken or fish for a pop of flavor
- Mixed in with scrambled eggs
- Use it as a pizza topping in place of tomato sauce
Your turn to try this delicious pesto
You won’t regret making this easy pesto packed with so much flavor. You’ll make it over and over and find different ways to use this versatile sauce.
If you make this recipe, let us know how it goes by leaving a rating and review below. Take a pic to share on Instagram and tag us @realsimplegood, we love to see what you’re cooking!
5-Minute Sun Dried Tomato Pesto (Pesto Rosso)
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, just the dried tomatoes, no oil (approximately 4oz) See recipe notes
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, unsalted, (can sub almonds or walnuts)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, (to taste, omit if using sun-dried tomatoes that already include salt)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, (optional)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, (about 1/2 small lemon)
- 3/4 cup olive oil, (+ more to reach desired consistency)
- Add all of the ingredients except the olive oil to a food processor. Note – Most sun-dried tomatoes are already salted, so check the ingredients and omit the salt if needed. You can add salt to taste as needed at the end.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of the olive oil. Pulse to make a thick paste, scraping the sides if needed to get all of the ingredients processed.
- With the lid on, turn on the food processer and slowly pour in additional oil (approximately another 1/4 to 1/2 cup) to reach your desired consistency. Use less oil for a thicker, paste-like consistency, more oil to thin it out.
- Taste and season with any additional salt/parsley/lemon juice as desired.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. Can also be frozen for 3+ months.