The flavor of a taco in meatloaf form – how can you go wrong with that? This Mexican taco meatloaf is an easy recipe that only takes about 10 minutes of prep and results in a delicious and hearty meal. If you love ground beef taco meat you’ll love this meatloaf!
A simple meatloaf without breadcrumbs
We love simple recipes that make a big batch of food. This Mexican taco meatloaf recipe is just that. With only 3 main ingredients plus a simple taco seasoning mix, making meatloaf doesn’t get any easier than this!
Plus, you don’t need any breadcrumbs for this recipe. We only used eggs as a binder and it works just fine. However, if you want to you could add in about 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs or even some Bacon’s Heir pork panko for a Keto-friendly option!
The best moist meatloaf
Let’s be honest, nobody likes a dry slice of meatloaf. In order to keep this meatloaf recipe moist and juicy, we added salsa to the ground beef mixture. Not only does the salsa enhance the Mexican and taco flavors, it prevents the meatloaf from drying out and losing flavor.
Tips for freezing meatloaf
This Mexican taco meatloaf is perfect for meal prep because it’s freezer friendly! Here are some recommendations for freezing meatloaf:
- Allow the meatloaf to cool completely before slicing it up. This helps to retain the juices in the meatloaf and keeps it from crumbling when sliced.
- Portion the slices out into the serving size you want to thaw out. This is helpful if you only need to thaw a few slices at a time and not the entire loaf.
- Remove any air from the freezer container you are using if possible. A vacuum sealer works great for this.
Tips for reheating meatloaf
When reheating meatloaf from the freezer, here are your best options.
First, remove the meatloaf from the freezer and allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge.
- In the oven – Heat oven to 250° and place meatloaf in a baking dish. Add a tbsp or two of broth or water in the with the meatloaf. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until warmed through. Note that the cooking time will be less if the meatloaf is already sliced.
- In a skillet – Our personal favorite, especially for reheating just a couple of slices. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add in some cooking oil like ghee or avocado oil. Cook each side for 3-4 minutes, until warmed through.
- In the microwave – Place meatloaf in a microwave safe dish and cover with a paper towel. Microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until warmed through. You can spoon some broth over the meatloaf to prevent it from drying out if desired.
What to serve with meatloaf
Meatloaf is the ultimate comfort food that usually calls for a hearty side dish like mashed potatoes and gravy. However, we thought the taco flavors of this meatloaf were perfect to serve with a side of pan fried plantains. A simple salad with some avocado, sliced radish and cilantro completed the meal!
Your turn to try this Mexican taco meatloaf
Grab some ground beef, 2 eggs, a jar of salsa and a few seasonings from your pantry and you are all set to make this easy taco meatloaf! Leave a comment to let us know how it goes and take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood, we love to see what you’re making!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Easy Mexican Taco Meatloaf
- 2 lbs (907.18 g) ground beef
- 2 (2 ) eggs
- 1 jar (1 jar) salsa, divided, (16 oz jar)
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) ghee, or other cooking oil
FOR THE SEASONING:
- 2 tsp (2 tsp) chili powder
- 2 tsp (2 tsp) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) paprika
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) cumin
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) onion powder
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) oregano
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) salt sea salt
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1/4 tsp) cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit and grease a loaf pan with ghee or oil. Alternatively, you can line the pan with parchment paper for easier cleanup.
- Make the seasoning by adding all of the seasoning ingredients to a small bowl and mixing well.
- Place beef in a bowl and add in 1/2 of the salsa, both eggs and the seasoning mix. Using your hands, mix the ingredients until the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Form the beef mixture into the loaf pan. Pour the rest of the salsa over the top of the meatloaf. You may have a little extra salsa left over.
- Place in the oven to bake for 80-90 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160°.
- Remove and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Carefully pour out any excess liquid from the pan. Cut into thick slices and serve.
- The loaf pan we used (pictured) is a 1.5qt pan. The dimensions are 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5. This size of loaf pan will fit this recipe perfectly. If using a pan that is more square or shallow, the required cooking time will be less.
- Nutrition facts are per serving and an estimate provided for those following a Ketogenic or low-carb diet. See our full nutrition information disclosure here.