While saying goodbye to summer produce can be a little rough, welcoming in fall fruits and veggies really puts a smile on our faces! We love the beautiful and rich colors fall produce brings, and we enjoy creating cozy recipes to savor all of it. This autumn breakfast casserole is packed with all the goodies fall brings, including kale, brussels sprouts, mushrooms, winter squash and leeks. Add some eggs, sausage, and thyme and you’ve got a flavorful, colorful, and delicious breakfast casserole.
Breakfast Casseroles For An Easy Week
Our favorite way to enjoy a breakfast casserole is to make it on a Sunday, and then reheat it for breakfast throughout the following week. It makes life so easy when all you have to do is reheat breakfast, and eat it up. It removes the early morning cooking and minimizes cleanup and dishes, too! Win-win if you ask us! Plus, it’s an easy way to get all the protein and veggies you need to fuel up for the day. Win-win-win?! I think so!
We have packed this autumn breakfast casserole with all of our favorite fall veggies. It is great to use seasonal produce because you will eat local, fresh foods, which means you’ll get more nutrition from your fruits and veggies. I first started intentionally eating seasonally when I went Paleo and signed up for my first CSA box. It was really quite fun. I was forced out of my comfort zone and had to try new fruits and veggies.
I didn’t want to waste anything, so I would get my box and google for recipes using the ingredients I had on hand. I had no idea what to do with the ingredients at times. Like really, what do you do with celeriac, or celery root? Well, I had to learn about it. And through the process of trying new things, I expanded my cooking skills and also my comfort zone. I used to be a much more finicky eater, and now I will try just about anything at least once. I’ve also found that I really enjoy things I probably never would have tried otherwise.
If you are wondering what produce is seasonal where you are, check out this site that lets you pick a state and time of year to search for seasonal fruits and veggies. It may vary just a bit depending on your specific location, but you can start to get an idea of what is likely to be freshest at the market when you grocery shop.
Your Turn To Try Our Autumn Breakfast Casserole
Ok, get this on your menu for the week. Make it ahead of time, so all you have to do is reheat your breakfast in the morning and go about your day! Let us know how it goes by leaving a comment below. Also, take a photo and tag us on Instagram @realsimplegood, so we can check it out!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? CLICK HERE TO PIN IT AND TRY IT LATER!
Autumn Breakfast Casserole (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto)
- 1 tbsp grass-fed butter or ghee, (or sub avocado oil)
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups winter squash, cubed (butternut or delicata)
- 2 cups greens, (kale, chard, and/or spinach)
- 1 cup brussels sprouts, - shaved
- 1 cup mushrooms, - sliced
- 1 leek, - diced
- 5 pieces pre-cooked sausages, - cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, - chopped
- 1/4 tsp each: salt + pepper
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit, and grease a 9x13 pan with butter, ghee or avocado oil.
- Crack eggs in a large mixing bowl and whisk until creamy.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients as noted above, and place in bowl with eggs. Mix thoroughly, and pour into greased pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until eggs are cooked. Let cool for a few minutes, and serve, or let cool completely and store in fridge to re-heat and serve for breakfast throughout your week.