Honestly, I’m feeling kind of blah. Like really blah actually…and sometimes that is how we feel about chicken, too. It’s easy, which we love, but just kind of blah. So, you can imagine our excitement when we tried this new Paleo, Whole30 + Keto chicken in tomato sauce recipe and were in love! With fresh garlic, basil, a creamy tomato sauce and served over zoodles, you’re going to love this flavorful and easy chicken dinner.
Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner
Do you sometimes just feel pretty blah about chicken? Or is it just us? We especially feel like chicken breast lacks excitement. You’ll notice most of our chicken recipes call for chicken thighs. We just think they have more flavor, but we often hear from you guys that you prefer chicken breast. So…this chicken in tomato sauce recipe is for YOU! Plus, it’s a one pan meal, and I’m pretty sure we can all get on board with that!
Creamy Saucy Goodness
Really, what makes this chicken recipe so dang good is the sauce. It’s tomatoey and creamy and full of fresh flavor. If you’ve been feeling like you’re bored with chicken or you need to spice things up, this is it! You’ve been called, so go make this chicken in tomato sauce.
Weeknight Dinner Or Meal Prepped Lunch
I know…I said winner, winner chicken DINNER. But really, it would be a great recipe to make on Sunday to meal prep lunches for your work week. Do you do that – meal prep lunches or snacks or anything over the weekend? Pre-blogging full-time, we did A LOT of meal prep over the weekend! Like A LOT! It really made a difference in our ability to continue to eat well during the week and feel our best. You should give it a try if you don’t already. Start small. Make a recipe like this for your lunches, and put it into containers in single servings. All you have to do is take it to work with you when you head out the door.
Some Other Chicken Recipes To Try
Your Turn To Try Our Chicken In Tomato Sauce
Whether you’re feeling blah about chicken or just want to try a new way to eat it, make this chicken in tomato sauce. Leave a comment below, and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood so we can see, and give us a follow if you don’t already! We’d love to stay connected!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Chicken in Tomato Sauce (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto)
For the chicken:
For the sauce:
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes, (14.5 oz)
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup green olives, sliced
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp ghee, (or coconut oil for dairy free)
- 3 baby zucchini, spiralized into zoodles
- Salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped, (for garnish)
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Prep the onion, garlic, artichoke hearts, green olives and basil as noted.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add ghee. Once hot, add the chicken breasts to the skillet and cook undisturbed for 3-4 minutes per side, or until lightly browned.
- While the chicken is cooking, turn the zucchini into noodles using a spiralizer. Set aside.
- When the chicken is browned, remove it from the skillet and set aside.
- If the pan is dry, add more ghee to coat. Add in the diced onions and cook for 3-4 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add in the coconut milk to deglaze the pan, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, Italian seasoning and basil to the pan. Stir to mix.
- Place chicken back in the skillet and nestle it in with the other ingredients. Increase heat if needed to bring the sauce to a low simmer, then cover and simmer over low heat for 6-8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- When the chicken is almost finished, get the zoodles going. Place one tbsp ghee in a separate large pan over medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add the zoodles and sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, tossing the zoodles frequently, for 3-4 minutes until the zoodles are warmed through but not mushy.
- Serve chicken over zoodles and garnish with fresh basil.