This recipe for coffee-rubbed grilled steak is seasoned perfectly. Finely ground coffee blends with a mixture of dry spices, like smoked paprika, mustard powder and garlic powder. The homemade steak dry rub works with just about any cut of steak. Let’s grill!
Making a Coffee Rub for Steak
But if you love steak AND coffee (who doesn’t love both?) here’s a way to enjoy both with an easy coffee rub for grilling.
- Grind the coffee as finely as possible. You don’t want a bunch of of chunks of coffee beans but rather a fine-flour like texture.
- Mix the coffee with seasonings like salt, garlic, smoked paprika and mustard powder.
- Sprinkle the rub liberally all over the steak. Massage it in gently with your hands.
- Allow the rub to sit for 30 minutes (or longer) before grilling.
If you like grilling, be sure to check out all of our delicious grilling recipes!
What Does Coffee Rubbed Steak Taste Like?
This coffee rubbed steak has just a subtle taste of coffee that isn’t overpowering at all. If you want just a little coffee flavor but not too much this is the recipe for you!
The rest of the seasonings combine to make a steak that’s:
- Perfectly bold
- A little spicy
- Slightly smoky
- Salty sweet
What’s the Best Steak to Use with a Coffee Rub?
Pictured you’ll see this rub on a flank steak. We’ve also used it on:
- Skirt steak
Basically, use it on any cut of steak you are looking to take to the next level.
What to Serve with Grilled Steak
Here are some delicious side dish options for this coffee rubbed steak:
- Rich and creamy coleslaw
- Grilled sweet potato fries
- Easy air fryer potato wedges
- Asian cucumber salad
- Grilled marinated vegetables
Your Turn to Try this Easy Coffee Rub for Steaks
If you enjoy coffee and grilling, what are you waiting for? Fire up your grill and enjoy the bold and smoky flavor of this easy coffee rubbed steak.
If you try it, be sure to leave a rating and comment below and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood, we love to see what you’re cooking!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Grilled Coffee Rubbed Steak Recipe
- 2 lbs Flank steak, (or skirt or flat iron)
For the coffee rub:
- 2 tbsp finely ground coffee, (as finely ground as possible)
- 2 tsp coconut sugar, (omit for whole30, can omit for Keto)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- Combine all seasoning ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- Generously sprinkle the steak all over on both sides with the coffee spice rub and gently massage it in. Let steak stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare a grill for direct cooking over high heat.
- Cook steak directly over the flame, flipping halfway through cooking, until well browned. This is about 3-5 minutes per side to cook a thin flank or skirt steak medium-rare. Adjust cooking time accordingly depending on the thickness of your steak and desired doneness.
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest for at least 5 minutes. Slice the steak across the grain and serve.