Why you’ll love this easy pork sausage recipe
- The old-fashioned breakfast sausage seasoning is made from 6 common spices and you can add some red pepper flakes if you want to make it a spicy sausage.
- These breakfast sausage patties are super-fast to make! They’re ready from scratch in about 15-minutes.
- It has that classic country breakfast sausage flavor without any added MSG or sugar so it’s a great recipe for anyone with dietary restrictions (gluten-free, keto, whole30, paleo).
Related ->> Check out this post with 10 Easy DIY Spice Blends
What other’s are saying about it
This recipe has great flavor and is so easy to mix up!! It’s great for breakfast for two as patties. I like to fry it up as crumbles in five pound batches and freeze it in one pound containers. Then it’s perfect to add to an egg bake at the holidays or a lazy Saturday, or toss it into a batch of biscuits with shredded cheese. So yummy!! Thanks!!!Jan
How to make breakfast sausage (step-by-step)
Breakfast sausage seasoning ingredient notes
Exact measurements – It’s important to use the exact measurements noted in the recipe for the seasoning. It’s a fine line to walk when seasoning sausage and it can be over-seasoned easily.
Try it first – Before you adjust any seasonings to suit your taste, try the recipe as written first. You may desire more or less garlic, oregano, or other. But it’s easier to adjust after tasting the cooked sausage.
Spicy option – If you like spicy sausage, you can add in some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
Sweet option – If you like a sweet breakfast sausage, you can add in a little sugar or maple syrup.
Paprika – The paprika is optional, but I like the color it adds to the sausage. You can also use smoked paprika for a smoky flavor.
Tips from an expert home chef
- This recipe works great for pork sausage, but you can use it with ground beef, ground chicken, ground turkey (or a mixture of ground meats).
- It’s a freezer friendly recipe. You can prep the sausage with the seasoning mixture and freeze it to cook later. Either keep it as bulk sausage or form it into patties before freezing for speedy cooking after you defrost it!
- The patties can also be cooked and then frozen for 6 months. We recommend freezing the sausage in the portions you’ll want to eat.
- If you’re doing some meal prep, simply cook the sausage over the weekend to use for breakfast or other meals during the week. Store in an airtight container for up to one week in the fridge.
Breakfast casseroles with homemade sausage to try
- Loaded Whole30 Breakfast Casserole
- Keto Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Burrito Casserole
- Sausage Parsnip Breakfast Casserole
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Don’t forget to leave a quick star rating and review below, we read every comment and truly appreciate your feedback. Also, be sure to browse the rest of our delicious breakfast recipes to find some other favorites too!
Homemade (15-Minute!) Breakfast Sausage Recipe
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1.5 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika, (optional)
- Place the ground pork in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix the seasonings together in a separate bowl or ramekin.
- Pour the seasonings in with the pork and mix it together well with your hands. Make sure the seasonings are evenly incorporated throughout the pork but don't overmix.
- Shape the sausage into 4-6 patties.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add in the sausage to cook.
- Cook about 5 minutes per side, until the sausage is cooked through the center.
- Serve and enjoy.