Made with chicken thighs and loaded with creamy goodness, this creamy mushroom chicken is a dish your family will love! It’s a one pan meal that comes together easily so you can make it for a quick and healthy weeknight meal.
Creamy Chicken FTW
Creamy chicken recipes are some of our reader favorites! Everyone seems to love a simple chicken dinner that is healthy, yet tastes indulgent. If you like this recipe, you might also like:
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Creamy Mustard Chicken
- Creamy Garlic Chicken Skillet
- Creamy Chicken Alfredo
- Spinach Artichoke Chicken Skillet
Looking for more? Check out all of our healthy one pan recipes!
Making this Easy Mushroom Chicken
This recipe uses arrowroot starch to coat the chicken and give it a little crispy texture. Here are a few tips for preparing this recipe:
- When cooking the chicken thighs, let them cook undisturbed for 5-6 minutes each side. You want them to develop a crispy, golden-brown crust on each side.
- Be sure to scrape and deglaze the skillet when you pour in the coconut milk and other liquid. You want to get all of the chicken bits into the creamy sauce.
- Allow the chicken to finish cooking while it simmers in the sauce. This allows the chicken to take on more flavor and also helps the sauce thicken.
Can I Use Chicken Breasts?
This is a common question we get with chicken recipes, so we might as well answer it now! Yes, you can use chicken breasts for this recipe.
If you do substitute breasts, you will need to increase the cooking time in step 5 depending on the size of the chicken breasts you have. You want the chicken almost cooked through when you remove it from the pan. It will finish cooking as it simmers in the sauce in step 8.
Your Turn to try this Creamy Mushroom Chicken
If you’re craving comfort food or just need a quick and easy weeknight dinner, make this one pan creamy mushroom chicken. It’s healthy comfort food your whole family will love.
If you try it, leave a comment below and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram, and tag us @realsimplegood. We love to see what you’re cooking!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
One Pan Creamy Mushroom Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 3 tbsp avocado oil, divided (can use ghee or butter if you're ok with dairy)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced (cremini or button)
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4 cups kale, roughly chopped
- Prep onion, garlic and mushrooms as noted. Chop kale and set aside.
- Place arrowroot starch on a plate or shallow bowl and add salt and pepper. Mix with a whisk.
- Dredge the chicken thighs in the starch mixture so they are lightly coated on all sides. Set aside on a plate.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add about 2 tbsp avocado oil. Once hot, add the thighs to the pan to cook (you may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your skillet).
- Cook the chicken without disturbing, for about 5-6 minutes per side, or until golden brown but not burnt. Remove and place on a plate. If you are cooking in batches, you may need to add more avocado oil in between batches.
- Keep the skillet at medium heat and add 1 tbsp avocado oil. Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms start to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, coconut aminos, and lemon juice. Scrape the skillet to deglaze. Stir and reduce heat to low to simmer.
- Nestle the chicken back into the sauce and let simmer for 6-7 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and the chicken is completely cooked through.
- When the chicken is almost finished, add in the chopped kale and mix it in with the sauce. Cook until the kale is warmed through and wilted, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and serve.