Made on the stovetop with chicken thighs, mushrooms and a dairy-free cream sauce, this recipe comes together in less than an hour using just one pan. Full fat coconut milk acts as a dairy-free substitute for heavy cream and milk, and coats the chicken and mushrooms in a comforting healthy cream sauce.
If you like this recipe, you have to try our dairy free creamy tuscan chicken recipe and this dairy free chicken breast recipe with mushroom sauce. They’re both dairy free and full of creamy deliciousness!
Making a Creamy Sauce for Chicken
Healthy chicken recipes are some of our reader favorites!
We have perfected a dairy free coconut milk cream sauce for chicken and here’s how you’ll use it in this recipe:
- Mix up the sauce while your chicken is cooking (only 3 ingredients!)
- Dump the sauce in with the cooked mushrooms, garlic and onions and deglaze the pan to get all the savory bits mixed in.
- Simmer the sauce for about 5 minutes to cook down and thicken a bit.
More One Pan Chicken Thigh Recipes
If you like this recipe, you might also like:
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Creamy Mustard Chicken
- Creamy Garlic Chicken Skillet
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- Spinach Artichoke Chicken Skillet
Looking for more? Check out all of our healthy one pan recipes!
Tasty Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms
This recipe uses arrowroot starch to coat the chicken and give it a little crispy texture. Here are a few tips for preparing this recipe and making it extra tasty:
- When cooking the chicken thighs, let them cook undisturbed for 5-6 minutes each side. You want them to develop a crispy, golden-brown crust on each side.
- Be sure to scrape and deglaze the skillet when you pour in the creamy sauce. You want to get all of the chicken bits into the creamy sauce.
- Allow the chicken to finish cooking while it simmers in the sauce. This allows the chicken to take on more flavor and also helps the sauce thicken.
Can I Use Chicken Breasts?
This is a common question we get with chicken recipes, so we might as well answer it now! Yes, you can use chicken breasts for this recipe.
If you do substitute breasts, you will need to increase the cooking time in step 5 depending on the size of the chicken breasts you have. You want the chicken almost cooked through when you remove it from the pan. It will finish cooking as it simmers in the sauce in step 8.
Your Turn to try this Creamy Mushroom Chicken
If you’re craving comfort food or just need a quick and easy weeknight dinner, make this one pan creamy mushroom chicken. It’s healthy comfort food your whole family will love.
If you try it, leave a comment below and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram, and tag us @realsimplegood. We love to see what you’re cooking!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Stovetop Creamy Mushroom Chicken (Dairy Free)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced, (cremini or button)
- 4 cups kale, roughly chopped
- Prep onion, garlic and mushrooms as noted. Chop kale and set aside.
- Place arrowroot starch on a plate or shallow bowl and add salt and pepper. Mix with a whisk.
- Dredge the chicken thighs in the starch mixture so they are lightly coated on all sides. Set aside on a plate.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add about 2 tbsp avocado oil. Once hot, add the thighs to the pan to cook (you may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your skillet).
- Cook the chicken without disturbing, for about 5-6 minutes per side, or until golden brown but not burnt. If you are cooking in batches, you may need to add more avocado oil in between batches. Once both sides are cooked, remove and place on a plate.
- While the chicken is cooking, prep the sauce by adding the sauce ingredients to a bowl or measuring glass and mixing.
- When the chicken is done, keep the skillet at medium heat and add 1 tbsp avocado oil. Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms start to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sauce. Scrape the skillet to deglaze. Stir and reduce heat to low to simmer.
- Add in the chopped kale and mix it in with the sauce.
- Nestle the chicken back into the sauce and kale mixture and let simmer for 5-6 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and serve.