This Paleo + Whole30 creamy mustard chicken is about to take your chicken game to the next level! It’s creamy, dairy-free and full of flavor from the mustard, seasonings and fresh herbs. Plus, it’s the perfect weeknight dinner and makes tasty leftovers to take to work the next day for lunch, too!
How do you make this mustard chicken creamy and still dairy-free
We use full fat coconut milk to make the sauce super creamy, but don’t worry. You won’t be able to taste coconut at all. The mustard, seasonings and other flavors mask the coconut flavor, but leave behind the creamy goodness. We also added bone broth to the sauce to make it earthy and rich, too.
What do you serve this creamy chicken with?
Serve this creamy mustard chicken over cauliflower rice or white rice (if you’re not super strict Paleo or doing a Whole30). The cauliflower rice makes it feel like a complete meal, and it also soaks up the extra sauce and tastes amazing! This mustard chicken also works well over zucchini or other veggie noodles, too!
Pack the leftovers up for lunch
One of our favorite things about this recipe is that this creamy mustard chicken is so yummy you’ll actually look forward to the leftovers for lunch the next day! Isn’t that the best? And then, when you re-heat it at work, all your co-workers will be jealous of your lunch! It smells wonderful, and tastes just as amazing!
More healthy comfort food recipes
- CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP (PALEO, WHOLE30 + DAIRY-FREE)
- BAKED ITALIAN MEATBALLS (PALEO, WHOLE30, KETO + EGG-FREE)
- CREAMY CHICKEN SWEET POTATO NOODLES (PALEO + WHOLE30)
- CREAMY GARLIC SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE (PALEO, WHOLE30 + DAIRY-FREE)
- EASY SALISBURY STEAK (PALEO + WHOLE30
Your turn to try our creamy mustard chicken
Meal planning or just looking to take your chicken game to the next level? Try this creamy mustard chicken! Serve it over some cauliflower rice or veggie noodles and enjoy! Leave a comment below to let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram, and tag us @realsimplegood so we can see! Make sure to give us a follow if you don’t already. Let’s stay connected!
Creamy Mustard Chicken (Paleo + Whole30)
For the mustard sauce:
For the rest:
- 8 pieces bacon, diced
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups kale, roughly chopped
- Chopped parsley (optional garnish)
- Dice bacon and heat a large skillet over medium heat. Place bacon in the skillet to cook, stirring occasionally, until it is just browned. Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- While the bacon is cooking, make the mustard sauce by combining all of the mustard sauce ingredients in a bowl or large measuring cup. Whisk to mix.
- Chop, onion, mushrooms and kale. Measure out remaining ingredients.
- When the bacon is finished, reserve bacon fat in the pan and keep the skillet on medium heat. Place the chicken in the skillet to cook. Cook for 4-5 minutes, without disturbing. Flip it and cook for another 4-5 minutes. If the chicken is just slightly undercooked, that's ok. It will finish cooking with the sauce. Remove and place on a plate.
- Place onion in the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes, until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 2-3 minutes.
- Give the mustard sauce a quick whisk to mix and pour it into the skillet. Scrape to deglaze with a wooden spoon. Bring the sauce to a quick simmer.
- Add the chicken and bacon back into the skillet. Cover, turn down heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes. The sauce should thicken a little. Ensure that the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove cover and add in the kale. Stir to mix for 2-3 minutes, until the kale is wilted.
- Serve chicken topped with chopped parsley if desired. Spoon some of the sauce over the chicken for serving.