Originally published August 23, 2015. Last updated October 4, 2019.
This easy slow cooker pulled pork is a healthy pulled pork recipe made with simple seasonings. This easy recipe is a staple in our house because pulled pork is perfect for batch cooking and meal prep. Only five minutes of prep for an easy Paleo, Whole30 + Keto pulled pork recipe!
Slow cooker pulled pork is so easy because a pork shoulder or boston butt doesn’t need much help to give you tons of rich and hearty flavor. For this recipe, you’ll just use a simple rub with basic seasonings. Remember, sometimes simple is better! You don’t need a bunch of ingredients for an easy and delicious slow cooker pulled pork.
A big batch for meal prep
We have found that a four pound pork shoulder or boston butt is a good size for this recipe. This size fits perfectly in most standard size slow cookers and makes a large batch to feed a crowd or meal prep with. We love using this easy recipe for meal prep because you can pair it with just about anything. It keeps well in the fridge and can be frozen too.
How to make this easy slow cooker pulled pork recipe
What’s great about this recipe is how easy it is to make! Just start with a pork shoulder (or boston butt), add a simple rub and throw it in the slow cooker with a little chicken broth to cook on low. Cook it “slow and low” as they say for about eight hours and you’ll have a batch of fall off the bone pork that will shred easily with a couple of forks.
You don’t need to sear the pork first
A lot of people ask if you need to sear the pork to brown it before it goes in the slow cooker. You can do this, but that’s entirely optional. The pork will cook just fine in the slow cooker without searing. Save yourself an extra step and just throw it in the slow cooker and walk away!
Some other easy slow cooker recipes
- Mexican Shredded Beef
- BBQ Pulled Chicken
- Mojo Pork
- Slow Cooker BBQ Beef
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- Beef Barbacoa
Your turn to try this easy slow cooker pulled pork recipe
If you need a big batch of pulled pork to feed a crowd or are looking for an easy and healthy recipe for meal prep, give this a try! It’s healthy comfort food that your whole family will love. Leave a comment below and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram, and tag us @realsimplegood. Make sure to give us a follow if you don’t already. We’d love to stay connected!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Easy Slow Cooker Pulled Pork (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto)
- 4 lb pork shoulder (or boston butt)
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Onion powder
- 1 tbsp Chili powder
- 1 tbsp Smoked paprika
- 1 cup Chicken broth
- Place all of the seasonings in a small bowl and mix well to make the spice rub.
- Massage the spice rub all over the meat. You may have some left over if you have a smaller cut of meat.
- If you have the time, wrap and refrigerate the meat for 3 hours or as long as 24 to let the rub set in. If you are planning ahead, I recommend letting the rub set in. If you don’t have the time, just season the pork and start cooking.
- Place the pork into the slow cooker and pour the chicken broth in.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove the pork from the crock pot and place it on a cutting board.
- Shred with two forks or tongs and serve. You can spoon some of the juices from the slow cooker on to the pork for serving.