An easy 5-minute prep recipe, this crockpot Mexican chicken gives you the most tender, juicy, shreddable chicken. It’s perfectly seasoned so it’s a little smoky, a little spicy and a lot of delicious! Devour it in tacos, make it into southwest style bowls or serve it any way you wish!
A simple Mexican chicken seasoning
We always make our own seasonings at home instead of buying pre-made store blends. With just a quick measurement and mix of some seasonings from your pantry, you can have an amazing Mexican chicken seasoning that’s better than the store-bought packet!
Check out some other simple seasoning mixes in our post 10 Easy Homemade Spice Blends.
The best Mexican shredded chicken
We love using our crockpot to batch cook recipes that are versatile and perfect for leftovers. The slow cooker also turns this recipe into juicy chicken that’s easily shreddable! We love this Mexican shredded chicken because it goes with just about anything.
Our favorite ways to serve it are:
- Salads (with a little Chipotle Aioli – perfection!)
- Burritos or burrito bowls
Super easy crockpot Mexican chicken
This recipe isn’t quite as easy as dumping a jar of salsa over some chicken breasts or thighs – but it’s close. You don’t need to brown the chicken or do anything fancy, just slather it with the Mexican chicken seasoning, dump in the other ingredients and call it good!
Make it Instant Pot Mexican chicken instead
You can easily use the Instant Pot to make this recipe too! Just follow the same basic instructions and as the slow cooker version but cook the chicken on high pressure for 22 minutes. After the time is up, do a quick release and then shred the chicken in the Instant Pot with the juices.
Some other favorite Mexican chicken recipes
- CHICKEN TINGA
- CHICKEN FAJITA SOUP
- EASY HARISSA CHICKEN RECIPE
- INSTANT POT WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
- CHICKEN BURRITO BOWL
Your turn to make this versatile shredded chicken recipe
Whip up a simple seasoning, dump in the other ingredients and set it and forget it! We know you’ll love the smoky Mexican flavor and we think it might be your new favorite healthy chicken recipe!
If you try this recipe, be sure to leave a comment below and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood, we love to see what you’re cooking!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Juicy, Shredded Crockpot Mexican Chicken (5-Minute Prep!)
- 2 lbs (907.18 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs, (or breasts)
- 1 (113.4 g) can green chiles, (4 oz)
- 1/2 cup (117.5 g) chicken broth
- 1 (1 ) lime, juice of
For the seasoning:
- 2 tsp (2 tsp) chili powder
- 2 tsp (2 tsp) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) paprika
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) cumin
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) onion powder
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) oregano
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) salt sea salt
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1/4 tsp) cayenne pepper, (to taste, omit for no spice or add more for spicy)
- Make the seasoning by adding all of the seasoning ingredients to a small bowl or jar and mixing.
- Add the chicken to the crockpot. Pour the seasoning over the chicken and flip a couple of times to coat both sides.
- Add in the chicken broth and green chiles. Squeeze in the lime juice.
- Place the cover on the crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for for 4 hours.
- Once the chicken is done, shred with two forks. Serve and enjoy.
- You can use either chicken thighs or breasts for this recipe and follow the same cooking instructions.
- For the Instant Pot, follow steps 1-3 above. Place chicken in the Instant Pot and set it to cook at high pressure for 22 minutes. After the time is up, do a quick release and then shred the chicken in the Instant Pot with the juices.
- Nutrition facts are per serving and are an estimate provided for those following a Ketogenic or low-carb diet. See our full nutrition information disclosure here.