So…it’s supposed to be Spring, but it has not felt much like the seasons are changing quite yet. In fact, it’s felt like winter most days…like waking up to a dusting of snow and/or temperatures in the 20-30 degree range. You’ll have to excuse us if your weather has warmed up and you’re ready for grilling and warm weather foods. We look forward to that too, but given the winter weather where we live, we’ve continued making soups and stews and all the cozy things. This Paleo and Whole30 curry beef stew is real good, and we’ve provided you instructions to make it in either the Instant Pot or slow cooker!
Slow Cooker Or Instant Pot?
You can use either, and we do provide instructions for both options below, but for the ease of using and dirtying only one pot, we prefer the Instant Pot. You can sauté the beef in the Instant Pot, and then you just add the rest of the ingredients and let the Instant Pot do its thing! If you choose to use your slow cooker, you just sauté the beef over the stove, and then add everything to your slow cooker. Either way, you will love another way to enjoy curry flavors with this recipe that is both Paleo and Whole30 compliant.
Potatoes For A Little Extra Good Comfort
We added potatoes to this curry beef stew to add a little extra goodness, but if you’re not down with good old yukon gold potatoes, you can just as easily substitute with sweet potatoes or the winter squash of your choice. We’ve used butternut and delicata squash in place of the potatoes ourselves. I bet you could even get away with using zucchini as well as we do eventually switch to the next season!
Make Ahead Over The Weekend
While this Paleo and Whole30 curry beef stew is pretty easy to make in the Instant Pot during the work week, one of our favorite things to do is to make it Sunday for dinner and then have the leftovers on hand to quickly re-heat during the rest of the following week. Our typical weekend meal prep includes a large breakfast for Justin to re-heat in the mornings during the week and then a large dinner on Sunday night to carry some leftovers into the week as well. Sometimes we’ll tack on a snack or a treat as well to have a little something readily available. If you don’t already meal prep (even on a small scale), we highly recommend it for saving time and sanity during the busy work week. We even have some Paleo and Whole30 meal plans available to help you out if you’re interested!
Other Instant Pot Recipes To Try
Your Turn To Try Our Curry Beef Stew
Go ahead and plan to do a little meal prep this coming weekend! Add this Paleo and Whole30 curry beef stew to your agenda and enjoy the leftovers the following week! Your body will love the real food ready to go in your fridge! Let us know how it goes and what you think by leaving a comment below. Also, take a photo and tag us on Instagram @realsimplegood, so we can check it out! Give us a follow on Instagram as well if you don’t already!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT NOW AND TRY IT LATER!
Curry Beef Stew (Paleo + Whole30)
For the seasoning:
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
For the Instant Pot:
- To make the seasoning, mix the seasoning ingredients together in a small bowl. Mix the cubed stew meat with the seasoning mix to coat and set aside.
- Prep onion, bell pepper and thyme as noted.
- Press the “Saute” button on the instant pot and add in the avocado oil. Once hot, add in the seasoned cubed beef and spread it out as evenly as possible. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is browned on all sides, about 7-8 minutes. Press the “off/keep warm” button on the instant pot.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients (except salt and pepper) and give everything a good stir. Place the lid on the instant pot and close the pressure valve. Press the “soup” button.
- Allow the cooking cycle to complete and then quick release the pressure.
- Open the lid when safe to do so and use a potato masher to break up the potatoes until they are made into small chunks. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as desired. Spoon into bowls and serve.
For the Slow Cooker:
- Follow steps 1 & 2 above to prep the seasoning and veggies.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add in the avocado oil. Once hot, add in the seasoned cubed beef and spread it out as evenly as possible. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is browned on all sides, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer the beef to your slow cooker.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients (except salt and pepper) and give everything a good stir.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours (low is better to keep the beef soft and tender).
- When the stew is cooked, remove the lid and use a potato masher to break up the potatoes until they are made into small chunks. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as desired. Spoon into bowls and serve.