If you follow along with us regularly, you probably already know that we love creamy, dairy-free recipes. This easy chicken marsala checks all the boxes and is Paleo + Whole30! It’s a family-friendly, cozy comfort food dish, and it’s made in just 40 minutes.
Creamy + Dairy-Free
We love making creamy sauces and dishes that are still dairy-free. This easy chicken marsala has a thick and creamy sauce, and you won’t even know that it’s made with coconut milk. We use full fat coconut milk and the arrowroot starch on the chicken thighs to get the thick and creamy texture, but then season it with garlic, balsamic vinegar and fresh herbs to mask the coconut flavor. Really, you wouldn’t guess there was coconut milk in the recipe!
Mushrooms – Yes Or No?
Justin and I are pretty big mushroom fans. We cook with them a lot, which you may have noticed if you’ve tried many of our recipes. It seems that folks either love or hate mushrooms though, so if mushrooms are a non-starter for you…don’t worry. You can omit them from this recipe if you must and it will still turn out great.
Making It A Full Meal
In this easy chicken marsala recipe, we pair it with zucchini noodles. The creamy chicken tastes great over a bed of zoodles, but don’t feel limited. You could also have it over some white rice or cauliflower rice. You could have it over greens or with your favorite roasted veggies. I mean…you could really go for it and top a pizza with it. There really are a lot of options!
Other Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Black Pepper Chicken
- Homemade Keto Chicken Salad
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Creamy Garlic Chicken Skillet
- Coconut Lime Chicken
Your Turn To Try Our Easy Chicken Marsala
Whether you are looking for a pretty easy weeknight dinner or just craving a little comfort food, try this easy chicken marsala! It’s creamy, dairy-free and will definitely hit the spot! Leave a comment below and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood, and we might even repost it! Give us a follow if you don’t already, too! We’d love to stay connected!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Easy Chicken Marsala (Paleo + Whole30)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 3 tbsp avocado oil, divided (can use ghee or butter if you're ok with dairy)
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced (cremini or button)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped herbs (parsley, thyme or oregano)
- 3 zucchini, spiralized
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- salt and pepper
- Prep shallot, garlic and mushrooms as noted. Chop herbs. You can also spiralize zucchini now or you will have time to do it later when the chicken is cooking and simmering (steps 4 & 7).
- Place arrowroot starch on a plate or shallow bowl and add salt and pepper. Mix with a whisk.
- Dredge the chicken thighs in the starch mixture so they are lightly coated on all sides. Set aside on a plate.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add about 2 tbsp avocado oil. Once hot, add the thighs to the pan to cook (you may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your skillet).
- Cook the chicken without disturbing, for about 5-6 minutes per side, or until golden brown but not burnt. Remove and place on a plate. If you are cooking in batches, you may need to add more avocado oil in between batches.
- Keep the skillet at medium heat and add 1 tbsp avocado oil. Add the shallot, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms start to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, vinegar, and lemon juice. Stir and reduce heat to low to simmer.
- Nestle the chicken back into the sauce and let simmer for 6-7 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and the chicken is completely cooked through. If your sauce is too thick, add more chicken broth (a small amount at a time) to thin it out to desired consistency.
- While the chicken is simmering, spiralize zucchini into noodles.
- Place one tbsp avocado oil in a separate large pan over medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add the zoodles and sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, tossing the zoodles frequently, for 3-4 minutes until the zoodles are warmed through but not mushy.
- Serve the chicken marsala over zoodles and garnish with fresh herbs.