This quick and easy recipe for fresh chimichurri sauce is the perfect pairing for grilled flank or skirt steak. It’s Keto, Paleo and Whole30 friendly and pairs well with any healthy side dish.
Should I use flank steak or skirt steak?
Honestly, you can use this chimichurri sauce on any cut of steak. It can even be used on pork, chicken or seafood.
In my opinion, skirt steak grilled or seared in a cast iron pan is the best cut of meat for this fresh and tangy sauce.
Flank steak also works well and cooks quickly, but is a leaner cut of meat than skirt steak. Skirt steak has a little more “melt in your mouth” flavor to go with this delicious sauce.
Both flank and skirt steak are great options for an easy steak marinade.
LOOKING FOR MORE? Check out all of our healthy grilling recipes.
So what’s in this chimichurri sauce?
This amazing sauce is based on the classic base recipe from Argentina. It’s easy to make and will add some bold flavor to your next steak dinner!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Fresh herbs – Parsley, cilantro and oregano.
- Aromatics – Garlic and shallot.
- Oil – Fresh olive oil.
- Acid – Lemon juice and vinegar.
- Seasonings – Salt and pepper is all you need.
Just add all of the ingredients to a high-powered blender or food processor and blend it into a chunky sauce.
Can I use this chimichurri as a marinade?
The sauce will add some amazing flavor to any cut of steak, chicken, pork or seafood.
However, marinating is not really necessary and just adds an extra step and time. A simple grilled steak seasoned with salt and pepper is all you need!
Spoon this fresh sauce over a hot flank or skirt steak and you’ll know what I mean.
Healthy sides to go with chimichurri steak
Your turn to try this easy steak dinner
It’s time to get the grill going and celebrate some bold and fresh flavors! Give this easy chimichurri steak a try and leave a comment below and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood, we love to see what you’re cooking!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Fresh Chimichurri Sauce for Flank or Skirt Steak
For the chimichurri sauce:
For the steak:
- 2 lbs flank steak (or sub skirt steak)
- Sea salt and pepper
- To make the chimichurri sauce, add all of the sauce ingredients to a food processor or high-powered blender. Process until everything is finely chopped. Don’t overprocess and puree. Transfer to a container and refrigerate while you cook the steak.
- Heat your grill to high heat (450-500° F). Season steak with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add the steak to the grill and grill for 3-4 minutes and flip. Grill for another 2-4 minutes, or until the steak is cooked to your liking. Remove and place on a cutting board to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Slice the steak against the grain. Serve topped with chimichurri sauce and with your favorite side dish!
For skillet cooking:
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add in some avocado oil or ghee. Season steak with salt and pepper on both sides. Depending on the size of your skillet, you may have to cut your steak in half and cook it in two batches.
- Once the skillet is hot and shimmering, sdd the steak and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook for another 2-4 minutes, or until the steak is cooked to your liking. Remove and follow directions above for resting, cutting and serving.