Why you’ll love this recipe
- This easy pasta recipe is a great weeknight recipe that comes together in just 30 minutes!
- It uses basic kitchen staples and seasonings you’ll have on hand, plus a few fresh items from the store.
- A favorite way to vary your weekly pasta night while keeping the whole family happy! It’s even toddler friendly.
Pasta – use the pasta of your choice. We opt for gluten free rice noodles and like the brand Jovial for gluten free and grain free pasta. Traditional noodles will work or even veggie noodles, like zucchini noodles or sweet potato noodles.
Cayenne pepper – use more or less in the seasoning mix to tailor to your spice tolerance. It’s still great even with none, so do what you prefer.
Full fat coconut milk – another dairy free milk or regular milk would work, too.
Cheese – totally optional, just omit if you want to keep it dairy free.
Spinach – kale or chard would work as well.
Tips from an expert home chef
- The recipe is designed to save time by prepping the garlic and onion while the salmon is cooking, so follow the steps!
- Cook in a non-stick or cast iron pan to ease clean up.
- Avoid overcooking the noodles. We like to keep them just done or slightly al dente. And if you opt for zucchini noodles, check our post for how to cook and avoid watery, soggy zoodles.
More gluten free pasta recipes
- The Best Tender & Juicy Keto Italian Meatballs
- Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
- Sweet Potato Noodles with Creamy Chicken
- Healthy Peanut Butter Chicken & Noodles
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Don’t forget to leave a quick star rating and review below, we read every comment and truly appreciate your feedback. Also, be sure to browse the rest of our delicious, healthy recipes to find some other favorites too!
30-Minute Creamy Cajun Salmon Pasta
For the cajun seasoning:
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste, (optional)
For the rest:
- 12 oz pasta of choice, like fettuccine or penne, (can use rice or gluten free noodles for gluten free, cassava noodles or veggie noodles for paleo)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, divided, (or other cooking oil of choice)
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup coconut milk, (can sub heavy cream if not dairy free)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan, (optional, omit for dairy free)
- 3 cups spinach
- chopped fresh parsley, (optional topping)
- Make the cajun seasoning by combining all of the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl and mixing.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions provided. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the salmon. Using only 1 tbsp of the cajun seasoning, season the salmon.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add in the avocado oil. Once hot, add the salmon fillets and cook without disturbing for 4 minutes. Flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until the salmon is fully cooked. Remove and place on a plate for later.
- While the salmon is cooking, prep the onion and garlic. Gather remaining ingredients.
- After the salmon is cooked, add more avocado oil to the pan. Add in the onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the coconut milk and tomato paste and deglaze the pan, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Add in the remaining cajun seasoning and stir to mix. If you are using parmesan cheese, add it in at this time. Turn the heat down to low and simmer.
- Add in the spinach and mix it in with the sauce. Cook for 1-2 minutes until wilted.
- Next, add in the cooked pasta and toss to coat with the sauce.
- Nestle the salmon fillets in with the pasta. Cover and allow the salmon to heat up for a few minutes if desired before serving.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan and chopped parsley, if desired.
This was a winner! A new way of making salmon-heartier than the typical salmon recipe. If you like but don’t love salmon the creamy sauce and pasta will convince you.
We agree! Thanks for trying this and coming back to leave a rating and review, we appreciate it 🙂