This tomato watermelon salad is basically like a watermelon salad met a caprese salad and had a baby. It’s savory and sweet, with a touch of creamy goodness from buffalo mozzarella. Feta would work, too! Or you can skip the cheese all together and keep it dairy-free. It’s an easy summer side dish, and it’s a fun and unexpected way to enjoy watermelon and tomatoes! And, we’ve got tips for how to pick a good watermelon, too!
What do you need for a tomato watermelon salad?
You just need some simple ingredients to make a mouthwatering watermelon salad.
- Heirloom tomatoes – you can use an tomato really, but heirloom are our favorite in the summer.
- Italian seasoning
- Buffalo mozzarella – or regular mozzarella, or feta, or burrata or no cheese at all. It’s great however you choose.
- Fresh basil
- Salt and pepper
What kind of cheese is best for this watermelon salad
The cheese is optional, and it’s great with or without. Let’s start there! If you choose to add cheese, we love buffalo mozzarella. Being a non-cow cheese it seems to digest better for us. That said, you could also do cow’s milk mozzarella if you tolerate it ok. Feta works well, and burrata would be amazing, too! You’ve got options. What will you choose?
Tips for how to pick a good watermelon
You want to pick a watermelon that is ripe, but how do you know? With other melons, you can give them a sniff and they’ll smell sweet when they’re ripe, but you can’t do that with a watermelon due to its thick rind. So, here are a few indications that you’ve got a ripe watermelon:
- It feels heavy for its size.
- There is a yellow or white-ish spot. That’s where it rested on the ground and it turns yellow/white when ripe.
- Has a hollow sound when you give it a knock.
Some other summer salad and healthy side dish recipes
- SKILLET GLUTEN FREE BLUEBERRY “CORNBREAD”
- THE BEST POTATO SALAD WITH BACON
- HEALTHY GRILLED SWEET POTATO FRIES
- BROCCOLI CAULIFLOWER SALAD WITH BACON
- GRILLED FRUIT SALAD
- MARINATED GRILLED VEGETABLES
Time to try this easy, fresh tomato watermelon salad
Plan to make this tomato watermelon salad for your next time barbecuing with the family. It’s a fun way to eat watermelon a little differently than usual. Leave a comment and rating below, and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood, so we can check it out! We love to see what you’re making!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Easy, Fresh Tomato Watermelon Salad
- 6 cups watermelon, chopped into 1/2" cubes, (about 1/2 a small watermelon)
- 3 heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup buffalo mozzarella, cut into small pieces , (optional, omit for Paleo + Whole30)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Prep watermelon and tomatoes as noted, and place in a large serving bowl.
- Toss with the avocado oil, pepper and Italian seasoning, sea salt, cheese and basil. Serve and enjoy.