These gluten free shortbread cookies are an easy one bowl recipe made with almond flour and coconut flour and just about a handful of ingredients. Fresh lemon juice and zest add a citrusy pop of flavor! Ready to bake a batch with me?
Ingredients for almond flour shortbread cookies
This recipe only calls for seven ingredients, one of which is sea salt, so basically six ingredients! Here’s what you’ll need.
- Blanched almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Maple syrup
- Ghee (or butter)
- Sea Salt
- Lemon juice and zest
- Vanilla extract
How to make shortbread cookies
You might think shortbread cookies would be more complicated, but it’s really easy! And you only need one bowl to mix everything up! Here are the steps to make these gluten free lemon shortbread cookies.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together – the flours, sea salt and lemon zest.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix to combine.
- Be careful not to over mix the batter. You just want to make sure there are no dry spots.
- Roll into balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Flatten the balls out with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Remove and let cool completely. They’ll harden up as they cool.
Looking for more? Check out all of our healthy appetizer recipes!
Extra tips for gluten free shortbread
Here are a few extra tips in case you run into any issues.
- If the batter is too wet to roll into balls, add an extra tablespoon of coconut flour until it’s no longer too sticky to roll.
- Allow the cookies to cool all the way to harden up like a shortbread.
- Note that they will soften up a bit on the counter if you store them overnight or for a few days. You can store them in the fridge as well to help keep them fresh.
Other gluten free cookies to try
- SOFT + CHEWY VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- GINGER MOLASSES COOKIES
- GLUTEN FREE HOMEMADE SNICKERDOODLES
- APPLE CINNAMON COOKIES
Your turn to try our gluten free lemon shortbread cookies
Grab all the ingredients and make a batch this weekend to have a healthier treat on hand during the week. Leave a comment below to let us know how it goes. And also, take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood, so we can check it out. We love to see what you’re making!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Easy Gluten Free Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 lemon, zest and juice, (just 2 tbsp of the juice)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup ghee, melted, (or butter or coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300° Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together almond flour, coconut flour, sea salt and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix to combine. Just mix until there are no dry spots to avoid overmixing.
- Roll into balls and place on the lined baking sheet. Use palm of your hand to flatten balls. They can be close to one another on the baking sheet because they won't expand.
- Transfer to oven and bake for about 25 minutes, until the edges begin to brown slightly.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. The cookies will harden as they cool.
Super easy. A yummy cookie that tastes like summer!
So happy you enjoyed this cookie, too! Thanks for trying another one of our recipes! 🙂
These were so GOOD. Do think I could freeze these?
So happy you enjoyed them! Thanks for giving them a try! I haven’t tried freezing them, so I’m not sure. They never last that long at our house! 😉 If you try, let us know how it goes! I’m sure someone else would be curious, too.