5 reasons to love this easy grilled chicken recipe
- It’s as easy as grilling gets! Mix up the seasoning, season the chicken, and throw the drumsticks on the grill.
- The simple, 5-Ingredient chicken seasoning mix is BIG on flavor and so easy to make.
- Everyone will love biting into the perfectly seasoned, juicy chicken legs with crispy skin.
- They’re ready in about 45-minutes from start to finish, including the time it takes to prep the chicken and heat up the grill!
- Grilled chicken drumsticks go with just about any BBQ side dish, like creamy coleslaw or potato salad.
Related ->> Check out this roundup of mouthwatering BBQ recipes!
How to make the best grilled chicken legs (step-by-step)
Just a few simple steps will give you delicious grilled chicken drumsticks with crispy skin. Here’s how:
- First, heat up your grill to about 400° Fahrenheit. Any grill will work – charcoal, pellet grill, etc. See the recipe card below for oven-baking instructions.
- Note: You don’t want the grill too hot or you’ll get burned skin and undercooked chicken inside. Once the grill is started, prepare the chicken seasoning and chicken as noted below.
Tips from an experienced grill master
- Don’t let your grill get too hot – You want the grill to be around 400° Fahrenheit. If it’s too you’ll get burned skin and undercooked chicken inside.
- Flip the chicken every 10 minutes – You want to get grill marks all over the drumsticks but avoid letting them cook on one side for too long and burning.
- Keep the lid closed on your grill – Opening the lid too often allows heat to escape and doesn’t cook the chicken as evenly.
- Watch for flare-ups – When fat drips on flame you’ll get flare-ups. If this happens, move the chicken away from the direct flames and reduce the heat.
- Use an instant read thermometer – Ensure the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165° Fahrenheit.
Some side dish options
You’ll probably also want to plan to make an easy side dish to go with your chicken. Some of our favorite sides for grilling are:
Or, simply cut up and grill any veggies you have on hand! This healthy grilled vegetable marinade goes with any fresh veggies for grilling.
What other grillers are saying about this recipe
I love chicken drumsticks. This recipe is amazing. Easy to follow and the taste was delicious. It will definitely become one of our family’s favorite recipes. Thank you!
These chicken drumsticks work for any diet
If you’re following the Keto diet or trying to eat low-carb with more healthy fats, these grilled chicken drumsticks are for you! Drumsticks are the perfect Keto protein, as dark meat has more fat than other parts of the chicken.
In addition, since the seasoning mix is homemade and sugar-free, this recipe is gluten-free, whole30, and Paleo friendly too!
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Don’t forget to leave a quick star rating and review below, we read every comment and truly appreciate your feedback. Also, be sure to browse the rest of our delicious grilling recipes to find some other favorites too!
Crispy, 5-Ingredient Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat, around 400° Fahrenheit. (See notes for the instructions for baking in the oven)
- Mix the salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder together in a small bowl.
- Lightly coat the chicken drumsticks with oil. Rub the seasoning mix all over the chicken to coat.
- Grill on direct heat for about 30 minutes, depending on the size of the drumsticks. Flip every 10 minutes or so. Cook until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches at least 165° Fahrenheit.
- Remove from grill and allow the chicken to rest for at least five minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- To bake drumsticks in the oven, preheat oven to 400° F. Follow instructions above and place drumsticks on a sheet pan or in a baking dish. Bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of the drumsticks (until they reach an internal temperature of 165° F).
- Nutrition facts are per serving (one drumstick for this recipe) and an estimate provided for those following a Ketogenic or low-carb diet. See our full nutrition information disclosure here.