This Paleo + Whole30 hamburger soup is hearty, filling and packed with veggies. It’s the perfect easy dinner option that you can just throw in your Instant Pot or Slow Cooker and please the entire family. Who else is ready to dip a spoon into this healthy hamburger soup?
Poor Man’s Soup
I consider this hamburger soup recipe kind of a “poor man’s soup” because you just throw a bunch of ground beef, seasonings, veggies and broth into the mix and out comes a flavorful and hearty soup. We’ve used potatoes, parsnips (or carrots), onion, green beans and celery in this recipe but you could really clean out the fridge with this one. Basically, use the beef, seasoning and broth as the base and use whatever veggies you have on hand or whatever sounds good to you!
The Instant Pot Is Perfect For This One
While we give you instructions for both the slow cooker and Instant Pot in the recipe, we really love using the Instant Pot for this one. Either way the prep is easy, you’ll have everything ready in about 10 minutes. But if you use the Instant Pot, you’ll have a perfectly cooked hamburger soup on the table in under an hour, how can you beat that? Just a little prep and the Instant Pot does all the work for you!
Load It Up With Toppings
As you can see from the pictures we kept it simple with the toppings and just added a little chopped green onion for garnish. This hamburger soup is really filling and savory without the toppings, but if you want toppings – go for it! Some cheese or sour cream come to mind if you eat dairy (although a no-no for Whole30). A little hot sauce could kick things up a notch or some avocado could add some creamy texture. Again, use whatever you want or have on hand in the fridge!
Some Other Soups
Your Turn To Try Our Hamburger Soup
Get an easy and nutritious dinner on the table in no time with this hamburger soup! It’s hearty, can be adapted for whatever vegetables you have on hand and perfect for all your favorite toppings. Leave a comment below and let us know how it goes! Also, take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood so we can check it out and maybe even share in our stories. Give us a follow if you don’t already! We’d love to stay connected!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Hamburger Soup (Paleo + Whole30) Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
For the seasoning:
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
For the rest of the soup:
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups parsnips, cut into small cubes (can sub carrots)
- 2 cups green beans, ends removed and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 5 Yukon gold potatoes (whole – medium sized)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
For the Instant Pot:
- Make the seasoning by combining all of the seasonings in a small bowl or jar and mixing well.
- Prep onion, parsnips, green beans and celery as noted.
- Add in the ground beef to the Instant Pot and break it up into smaller bits with a spoon. You don’t have to brown the meat, it will cook in the Instant Pot during the cook phase.
- Add the seasoning mix in and stir to coat the beef.
- Add in the onion, parsnips, green beans, celery and potatoes. Pour in the broth around everything and add in the coconut aminos also.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and close the pressure valve.
- Press the “Soup” button and allow the cooking cycle to complete. Quick release the pressure.
- Carefully open the lid. Use a potato masher or spoon to break up the potatoes into bite-sized chunks. Break up any large chunks of beef as well. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as desired. Ladle into bowls and serve.
For the slow cooker:
- Follow steps 1-5 above, placing everything in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours. Follow step 7 above to mash potatoes and break up beef. Ladle into bowls and serve.