Whether you are hosting some friends, having a dinner party, going to bunco night or just want a tasty snack in the fridge, this Paleo and Whole30 healthy buffalo chicken dip is always a good idea! Everywhere we take it, it quickly becomes a crowd pleaser and topic of conversation. This healthy buffalo chicken dip is Paleo and Whole30, so it’s dairy-free, grain-free and there are no added sugars. You’re seriously going to be craving this dip!
Soak Your Cashews
We like to soak our cashews overnight so they get extra tender and then real creamy once blended up. The recipe still turns out great though even if you just soak your cashews for 2-3 hours. Give yourself at least enough time for those 2-3 hours and overnight if it works for your schedule.
We make our chicken in our Instant Pot. We just throw some chicken thighs and a jar of salsa from Trader Joe’s into our Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure/manual for 20 minutes and release the pressure once the cooking is done. You can also make your chicken in a slow cooker as well. Or you could even use leftover chicken if you have some on hand. Whatever you do, shred up your chicken, and then add the cashew mixture to it. Bake and serve!
What Is Nutritional Yeast?
Nutritional yeast is this golden colored, flaky textured seasoning. It is often used in sauces to add a cheesy flavor, without the actual cheese. Don’t be scared by it’s name though because nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast, meaning it does not contribute to any sort of candida or yeast overgrowth. It does, however, boast some great health benefits. This post by Dr. Axe shares some of those benefits including it’s content of b-complex vitamins and protein.
Get All The Dippers Ready
Play with the veggies and crackers you dip into this tasty and healthy buffalo chicken dip! Some of our favorites are Simple Mills Sprouted Seed Crackers, Jilz Crackers, plantain chips and fresh cut veggies – like carrots, celery and bell pepper. And…I’ve been known to use this dip to make a lunch bowl a time or two. Just add some greens, whatever veggies you have on hand and a couple of crackers! So good!
Your Turn To Try Our Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
Go ahead and get this healthy buffalo chicken dip on your agenda. Maybe even invite some friends over to enjoy it with – or not…I kind of like to hog it all for myself! Let us know how it goes by leaving a comment below. Also, take a photo and tag us on Instagram @realsimplegood, so we can check it out! Give us a follow on Instagram if you don’t already too!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip (Instant Pot - Paleo + Whole30)
- Start by placing your cashews in a bowl or container and covering them with water. Set aside to soak overnight. Note: you can soak your cashews overnight to make a creamier texture, but the recipe turns out great just soaking them for the 2-3 hours.
- Place your chicken in the instant pot and pour salsa over the top. Close the lid and make sure the pressure valve is closed. Press the "manual" button (or "pressure cook" button) and set the time to cook for 20 minutes at high pressure. Allow the cooking cycle to complete and then quick release the pressure. NOTE: Alternatively, you can cook the chicken in your slow cooker on high for 3 hours.
- While the chicken is cooking, drain the cashews and place them in a food processor with the chopping blade. Add garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper, hot sauce, mustard and nutritional yeast. Process until everything has reached a smooth consistency.
- Once the chicken has finished cooking, remove it with a slotted spoon and place it on a cutting board. Shred with two forks until all of the chicken is in small shreds.
- Preheat your oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Add the cashew mixture to the shredded chicken. Mix well until the cashew mixture and chicken is evenly combined. Taste and add in more hot sauce if desired.
- Place in a shallow baking dish (we used an 8x8 dish) and spread out evenly. NOTE: You can prep the dip in advance up to this step and refrigerate it until you are ready to bake it.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes. Remove from the oven once the dip is warm in the middle and crispy edges develop. Cool at least 5 minutes before serving.