This healthy egg salad is such an easy Paleo, Keto and Whole30 lunch recipe. There’s no mayo in the ingredients, but the egg salad is still creamy and delicious – you won’t miss it! It’s the perfect recipe to whip up for a quick and healthy lunch that everyone will enjoy!
WHY NO MAYO?
Sometimes an egg salad with a bunch of mayo sounds a little heavy when you are looking for a lighter lunch option. For this recipe we decided to use a small amount of coconut yogurt in place of mayo to lighten things up a bit. Have you ever tried coconut yogurt? It’s a lot like greek yogurt, thick and creamy with a slightly tangy taste. We found it was perfect for this healthy egg salad and offered the perfect creamy texture to go with the eggs and other ingredients. The brand we used for this recipe was COYO. We’ve also tried and tasted an almond milk based yogurt from Kite Hill that was similar in taste and texture that could be used in this recipe.
SAVE YOURSELF SOME TIME
Do you have an Instant Pot? We use ours all the time and let me tell you – it’s perfect for cooking hard boiled eggs! Pressure cooking the eggs is really quick and easy, and for some reason it seems to make them easier to peel. We cook ours for 6 minutes at high pressure with a quick release. This results in yolks that are just getting hard with just a touch of softness in the middle (medium-boiled). If you like soft boiled eggs you can cook them 1 minute less or cook them 1-2 minutes more to ensure a completely hard yolk. See this post for a visual representation of the different cooking time results. Of course, if you don’t have an Instant Pot you can boil the eggs on the stovetop.
SO MANY OPTIONS
We love making this healthy egg salad because there are so many different ways to eat it! Here are all the ways we’ve enjoyed this recipe:
- In a bowl on top of a salad
- On top of sweet potato “toast”
- In lettuce wrap “shells”
- As filling for a bagel sandwich (we used the Legit Bagel Mix for the bagel)
What’s your favorite way to enjoy a healthy egg salad? Let us know in the comments below!
SOME OTHER LIGHT LUNCH OPTIONS
YOUR TURN TO TRY THIS HEALTHY EGG SALAD
Back to school time is the perfect time to whip up some healthy egg salad! You’ll love the creamy yet light texture and the endless options for meals you get from this recipe! Leave a comment below to let us know how it goes if you give it a try. Also, take a pic and share it on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood, and give us a follow if you don’t already!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Healthy Egg Salad (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto) No Mayo
- 6 hard boiled eggs, chopped into small pieces
- 3/4 cup celery, diced (about 3-4 medium stalks)
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 medium dill pickle, finely diced
- 1/4 cup plain coconut yogurt (can sub greek yogurt if you eat dairy)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- Sea salt, to taste
- We recommend using the Instant Pot to hard boil eggs - Place the trivet in the bottom and add 1 cup of water. Add all the eggs in and close the lid and seal. Cook for 6 minutes at high pressure with a quick release. Carefully remove the insert and run the eggs under cool water before peeling.
- Chop eggs, celery, onion and pickle as noted and place everything in a bowl.
- Add in coconut yogurt, mustard, paprika, pepper and dill. Mix with a spoon until combined. Taste and season with salt as desired.
- Refrigerate until served. Serve in lettuce leaves, over sweet potato "toast", as a dip for veggies or scoop on top of a salad. Enjoy!