These Gluten Free and Vegan banana muffins are made with almond and cassava flours, no refined sugar and flax eggs. The center comes out a little gooey and the outer edges are golden brown. And with the dreamy maple pecan glaze, you’re going to love this healthy banana muffin recipe!
What do you need to make Gluten Free and Vegan muffins?
We use some simple pantry staples and ripe bananas to make these banana muffins. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Flax eggs – this is just flax meal and water combined
- Ripe bananas – you want the ripe ones to add sweetness and also so they mash easily.
- Blanched almond flour – our favorite is Bob’s Red Mill. It is super fine and works great for Gluten Free baking.
- Cassava flour – another great Gluten Free baking flour. We love Bob’s Red Mill again.
- Paleo baking powder – you can easily make this or you can also use aluminum free baking powder as well, it just has cornstarch in it, so pick the option best for you.
- Sea salt
- Pure maple syrup – used as an alternative to refined sugar.
- Coconut oil – or you can also use ghee if you’re not Vegan
- Vanilla extract
Making the Dairy Free maple pecan glaze
The glaze is entirely optional. The muffins are great standalone, but the glaze…well, it takes them to the next level! And it’s easy to make, too! Here’s what you do:
- Make powdered maple sugar – just pulse in a food processor or high powered blender until fine and powdery. You can also use regular powdered sugar if you don’t mind some refined sugar.
- Add powdered maple sugar, nut milk and a splash of vanilla to a bowl and mix until glaze forms.
- That’s it! Put it on these muffins and enjoy!
Some other healthy, gluten free muffins to try
- GLUTEN FREE LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS
- COFFEE CAKE MUFFINS
- EASY GLUTEN FREE ORANGE CRANBERRY MUFFINS
- MORNING GLORY BREAKFAST MUFFINS
Your turn to try these Vegan and Gluten Free banana muffins
These healthy, gluten free banana muffins are great for meal prep to have on hand for breakfast on-the-go, snacks or treats! They are quick and easy to make, made in just 40 minutes! Leave a comment below to let us know how it goes.
Also, take a pic to share on Instagram, and tag us @realsimplegood so we can check it out! We love to see what you’re making. Make sure to give us a follow if you don’t already – let’s stay connected!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Healthy Gluten Free, Vegan Banana Muffins
- 2 flax eggs, (combine 2 tbsp flax meal + 5 tbsp water)
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 2.25 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup cassava flour, (whisked before measuring)
- 1 tsp paleo baking powder, (or regular aluminum free baking powder if you don't mind cornstarch)
- 1 tsp cinnamon, (optional)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted, (or ghee if not Vegan and avoiding coconut)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, (plus more used in the glaze)
- 1/2 cup powdered maple sugar, (Pulse maple sugar in a high powered blender or food processor until powdery.)
- 1 tbsp nut milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit and line a muffin pan with parchment liners. Make sure to use parchment liners as this has an impact on how the muffins cook.
- Combine 2 tbsp flax meal and 5 tbsp water in a bowl and whisk. Mash bananas and set both aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk almond flour, cassava flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sea salt. Make sure there are no clumps. Make a hole in the center of the flour mixture.
- Add in the flax eggs, mashed banana, maple syrup, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar and vanilla. Whisk to combine and form a batter.
- Scoop mixture into lined muffin tin, and transfer to oven. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- When the muffins are almost done baking, make the glaze. Combine all of the glaze ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Once muffins have cooled, enjoy. Drizzle with glaze if using and sprinkle with chopped pecans. Store in an airtight container on the counter or in the fridge to keep longer.