This Paleo + Whole30 healthy lemon chicken piccata is a cleaned up simple and classic chicken recipe. It’s a great weeknight dinner the whole family can enjoy! We like to enjoy it with zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice and greens. It’s an quick, easy dinner!
Perfect for a busy weeknight
When you’ve got a busy weeknight ahead of you, want something not boring to eat for dinner, but just don’t want to spend much time….make this healthy lemon chicken piccata! With minimal prep, it’s an easy way to enjoy chicken that tastes way fancier than it is. Throw this chicken over some zoodles or cauliflower rice and call it good! Done and done.
How do you keep this lemon chicken piccata Whole30?
Fair question – we’ve cleaned up this chicken recipe in a few ways, but honestly you’re not going to notice or really care. First, we use arrowroot starch (or tapioca flour will work too) to lightly coat the chicken rather than a wheat flour. Second, we use white wine vinegar and bone broth instead of white wine for making the sauce. And lastly, we serve it over zoodles or cauli rice rather than pasta. Boom! Whole30 compliant lemon chicken piccata served up for you!
Lemony, fresh and refreshing
We like a little zesty flavor from fresh lemon juice, but this chicken can get pretty lemony real quick! We recommend using the juice of one lemon in the sauce, and then serving with some lemon wedges, so you can add more lemony flavor if you’d like. The combination of the lemon juice with the fresh parsley makes this chicken dish taste extra fresh and refreshing!
Some other chicken recipes to try
- Healthy Cashew Chicken
- Korean BBQ Chicken
- One Pan Greek Chicken Dinner
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- BBQ Pulled Chicken
- Black Pepper Chicken
Your turn to try our healthy lemon chicken piccata
Whether you need a quick and easy weeknight dinner or just want a fresh take on chicken, make this healthy lemon chicken piccata! Serve it over some zoodles or cauliflower rice and enjoy this healthy, fresh dinner recipe! Leave a comment below, and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram, and tag us @realsimplegood. Make sure to give us a follow if you don’t already. Let’s stay connected!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Healthy Lemon Chicken Piccata (Paleo + Whole30)
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp ghee, divided, (or coconut oil for dairy free)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juice of, (plus more for serving with lemon wedges)
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup capers
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Place arrowroot starch in a shallow dish. Add salt and pepper and whisk. Gather/prep remaining ingredients to have them ready to go.
- Dredge the chicken breasts in the flour mixture to lightly coat.
- Place a large pan over medium heat and add 1 tbsp ghee. Once hot, add the chicken to the pan to cook undisturbed for 4-5 minutes, until a brown crust has formed. Flip and cook another 4-5 minutes on the other side. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Turn heat down to low. Add ghee to the pan and let it melt, then add the garlic. Cook garlic on low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add vinegar, chicken broth and capers to the pan. Turn heat up to bring to a quick simmer and then return heat back to medium-low. Scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Return chicken to the pan and simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- Remove pan from heat and mix in the lemon juice. Spoon some of the sauce over the chicken to coat. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.