If you think you need to cook all day to get a tender and flavorful beef brisket, think again! With the magic of the Instant Pot or a pressure cooker, you can have a fall apart beef brisket smothered in delicious BBQ sauce ready in about 2 hours.
Cooking brisket in a pressure cooker
This recipe is simple and easy to follow, so don’t be scared of the Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Here are some cooking tips:
- Trim the fat on the brisket as much as possible. Brisket is already naturally marbled with fat within the meat.
- You’ll likely need to brown the brisket in batches. Cut it into pieces that fit the size of your pressure cooker. Or, simply brown it in a pan on the stovetop.
- Refer to the cooking chart below if you are cooking a different sized brisket than the recipe calls for.
How long does this instant pot brisket recipe take to cook?
Depending on the size of brisket you’re using, here are the approximate cooking times.
|BRISKET SIZE||COOKING TIME|
|2-3 lbs||60 minutes (high pressure)|
|4-5 lbs||75 minutes (high pressure)|
|6-7 lbs||90 minutes (high pressure)|
Note that the cooking times above are for how long to set your Instant Pot or pressure cooker for. They do not include time to prep the seasoning, brown the brisket, time for the pressure to build and time for the pressure to release.
The total cooking time noted in the recipe card below reflects the entire cooking time from start to finish for a 4 lb brisket.
A simple brisket rub recipe
The dry rub for this beef brisket is easy to make with simple seasonings from your pantry. Make it fresh and slather it all over the beef brisket before browning it in the Instant Pot. You’ll be amazed by the flavor this simple rub adds to the brisket!
A healthy BBQ sauce for beef brisket
Making a homemade healthy BBQ sauce is an easy way to add delicious BBQ flavor to this Instant Pot beef brisket! Since you aren’t smoking the brisket, this is the next best option to add some smoky, BBQ flavor.
Just mix up the BBQ sauce in a bowl or jar while the brisket is cooking. If you want to warm up the BBQ sauce, use the Saute function on the Instant Pot. Here’s what you’ll do:
- Remove the beef brisket to rest as noted in the directions.
- Pour the broth from the instant pot into a bowl. Reserve for dipping or pouring over the brisket :).
- Press the “Saute” button and add in the BBQ sauce. Cook, stirring frequently, to warm the sauce for a few minutes.
- Press the “Cancel/keep warm” button.
What to serve with brisket?
- HEALTHY GRILLED SWEET POTATO FRIES (PICTURED ABOVE)
- BROCCOLI CAULIFLOWER SALAD WITH BACON
- GRILLED CAULIFLOWER STEAKS
- THE BEST POTATO SALAD WITH BACON
- HEALTHY COLESLAW
Your turn to try this easy brisket recipe
Save yourself some time and use the Instant Pot to cook your next brisket. You’ll still get a tender, fall apart brisket with a smoky, BBQ flavor – in much less cooking time!
Leave a comment below to let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share and tag us @realsimplegood, we love to see what you’re cooking!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Instant Pot BBQ Beef Brisket
For the rub:
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder (also used in BBQ sauce below)
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder (also used in BBQ sauce below)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika (also used in BBQ sauce below)
- Make the rub by mixing all of the rub ingredients in a bowl or jar.
- If needed, cut the brisket into 2 (or more) pieces so it will fit into the Instant Pot. Rub the seasoning mixture all over the brisket.
- Press the "Saute" button on the Instant Pot and add in the ghee. Mix the ghee around as the pot heats up to coat the bottom of the pot.
- Add the brisket to the Instant Pot and sear each side for about 3-4 minutes. You want a quick sear to brown all sides of the brisket. You may need to work in batches.
- Once all of the brisket has seared, Press the "keep warm/cancel" button. Remove from the Instant Pot. Pour the beef broth in and deglaze the pot, scraping the bottom of the pan to remove any bits.
- Add the brisket back into the Instant Pot.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and close the pressure valve. Press "manual" button (or "pressure cook" button) and set the time for 75 minutes at high pressure. Once the time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes and then carefully manually release the remaining pressure.
- While the brisket is cooking, make the BBQ sauce by combining the sauce ingredients in a bowl or jar and mixing well. Cover and refrigerate.
- When the brisket is finished, remove and place it on a cutting board. Wrap the brisket in foil to rest for at least 10 minutes (or longer). You can also wrap it with parchment paper plus a towel around the parchment paper if you don't want to use foil.
- If you want warm BBQ sauce, remove the broth from the instant pot (reserve for later – for dipping or pouring over the brisket slices). Press the "Saute" button on the Instant pot and pour in the BBQ sauce. Cook the sauce, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes to warm it up. Press the "keep warm/cancel" button.
- Slice the brisket against the grain for serving. Serve topped with BBQ sauce. You could also add the pieces back into the Instant Pot to coat with the sauce before serving.