Cozy up with this Paleo + Whole30 Instant Pot butter chicken! It’s easy to make, full of rich flavors and versatile too. You will love how satisfied your belly and soul are after you enjoy this butter chicken recipe.
Easy Instant Pot Cooking
We love this Instant Pot butter chicken because it’s one of the easiest recipes to throw together. There’s pretty minimal prep, and if you don’t have fresh ginger on hand you could sub about a tablespoon of dried ginger. You also get to utilize the sauté function which we think adds a little extra flavor and texture to the sauce once it’s made. Once you’re done sautéing you just add the rest of the ingredients and set your Instant Pot to cook for 10 minutes on high pressure. It takes a little time to build up pressure in the pot, but all in all it’s a pretty quick and easy recipe!
Garam Masala is a blend of ground spices used often in Indian cuisine. We bought a jar of pre-made Garam Masala, but you could easily make your own at home. It’s typically just a mixture of cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, black pepper and coriander. Sometimes you might find recipes with variations that add in turmeric, fennel, star anise, fenugreek, etc. But at its basic form, it’s just six simple spices you probably have in your spice cabinet. Here’s a recipe you could follow if you wanted to make your own batch to use for this Instant Pot butter chicken.
Make It A Meal
This Instant Pot butter chicken is really cozy and soul-satisfying. The flavors are savory-sweet and just right. You can eat this chicken as is in the sauce, over cauliflower or white rice and greens, just over greens or roasted veggies, etc. You can go several directions with it, which also makes this recipe great for meal prepping! You can switch it up and make your lunches during the work week feel a little different every day…or if you’re like me you could eat the same lunch every day! 😉
Some Other Instant Pot + Slow Cooker Recipes To Try
Your Turn To Try Our Instant Pot Butter Chicken
Whether you’re old or new to the Instant Pot, plan to make this Instant Pot butter chicken real soon! It’s perfect for Fall and Winter and will keep you feeling cozy and warm. Leave a comment below and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood so we can check it out, and give us a follow if you don’t already! We’d love to stay connected!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Instant Pot Butter Chicken (Paleo + Whole30)
For the seasoning:
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
For the chicken:
- 3 tbsp ghee, (or sub butter - ghee for Whole30)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated on a microplane
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- Chopped cilantro, (optional garnish)
- Make the seasoning mix by combining the seasonings in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Prep garlic, onion and ginger as noted.
- Press the sauté button on the instant pot and add ghee. Once hot, add in the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the seasoning mix and stir to mix. Press the cancel button on the instant pot.
- Pour in the chicken stock and scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze.
- Add in the ginger, coconut milk, coconut aminos, tomato paste and lemon juice. Add the chicken thighs into the pot.
- Secure the lid on the instant pot and close the pressure valve. Press the "manual" button (or "pressure cook" button) and set the time to cook for 10 minutes at high pressure. Once the time is up, let the pressure naturally release on its own for 10 minutes.
- Manually release any remaining pressure and remove the lid. Serve chicken topped with sauce and optional cilantro.