The Instant Pot is perfect for cooking chicken! This post includes 20+ recipes for Instant Pot chicken – everything from breasts and thighs to frozen chicken and whole chicken.
The Best Chicken Recipes for the Instant Pot
We’ve had our Instant Pot for years now and love it. You can tell by the number of healthy Instant Pot chicken recipes in our recipe archives that chicken is one of our favorites to make in the pressure cooker. It’s perfect for so many things:
- Chicken soups
- Shredded chicken
- Easy salsa chicken
- Chicken curry
- Cooking frozen chicken
- Making a whole chicken
New to the Instant Pot? Read our honest review of the Instant Pot Duo 6 Quart.
Healthy Instant Pot Recipes
Scrolling through this list, you’ll find chicken recipes for any kind of dietary need. These recipes have you covered with options for:
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
Note: Not all recipes below fit every dietary preference. Review the individual recipe ingredients to verify dietary compliance.
Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes
One of the easiest things to make in the Instant Pot is chicken breast. The flavor options are endless and you can cook a whole breast, do shredded chicken, make a soup or cut up the chicken to mix with veggies and sauce.
Instant Pot Chicken Thigh Recipes
This is my personal favorite cut of chicken to cook in the Instant Pot. It has a little fat on it so it just seems juicer and more flavorful than chicken breast. From bone in, skin on thighs to boneless skinless, you’ll find a new way to enjoy this delicious cut of chicken below.
Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Recipes
One of the best things about the Instant Pot is the ability to throw a completely frozen piece of chicken in and have it cook perfectly in a relatively short time. These recipes are perfect for those days you are looking for a quick dinner at 6pm and only have frozen chicken breasts or thighs available.
Instant Pot Whole Chicken Recipes
If cooking a whole chicken is something you love, the Instant Pot makes it really easy. You’ll get a juicy whole chicken that’s fall off the bone tender when you cook it in the pressure cooker. Use a whole chicken for meal prep, for soups or just a large family dinner.
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
20+ Instant Pot Chicken Recipes: Chicken Tinga
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes (14.5 oz can)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- romaine lettuce (or sub Siete Tortillas, corn tortillas or other sturdy lettuce) Lettuce only for Whole30
For the Instant Pot:
- Pour the can of tomatoes in the instant pot first. Place the chicken in and toss the onions and garlic on top. Sprinkle the seasonings over everything and add in the liquid smoke.
- Secure the lid on the instant pot and close the pressure valve. Press the “manual” button (or “pressure cook” button) and set the time to cook for 20 minutes at high pressure. Once the time is up, quick release the pressure.
- Remove the lid and shred the chicken with two forks. If you wish for serving, you can strain out any excess liquid and either keep or discard it.
- Serve chicken in bowls over greens, in lettuce wedges or in tortillas with your favorite toppings.
For the slow cooker:
- Follow step #1 above, placing all of the items in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours. Shred the chicken with two forks once cooked and serve as noted above.