Originally posted December 12, 2017. Last updated March 28, 2020.
For busy weeknights, cooking with the Instant Pot is a good idea to keep dinners mostly hands-off and easy. This Instant Pot honey garlic chicken is a great make-ahead meal prep recipe. We provide slow cooker instructions too, so you can make this recipe either way!
Meal Prepping Over The Weekend
It’s no secret, we are chronic meal planners. Both Justin and I are very routine and habit based, and we love having our meals all planned out in advance, shopped for and prepped to the extent we have time. It just makes the week go so much smoother, and makes us feel like we are able to just enjoy one another in the evenings rather than hustling to figure out what’s for dinner and then run to grab ingredients, etc. By the time we get to Monday, it’s all taken care of and pretty much smooth sailing for the week, at least when it comes to food! Recipes like this Instant Pot honey garlic chicken are perfect for meal prep because you can easily turn it into a lunch or dinner as needed during the busy week.
Lunch Or Dinner – It Doesn’t Even Matter
We love the versatility of this honey garlic chicken. It’s super easy to pair with just about any veggie, greens and even plain white rice if you tolerate it (or cauliflower rice). Here’s an example of a simple way to use it as the protein in a pretty typical bowl at our house – use mixed leafy greens (or any greens of your liking), some pickled veggies (we used green beans from Justin’s mom) and avocado with that yummy Everything But The Bagel seasoning from Trader Joe’s! If you haven’t tried that seasoning yet, just do it! You will wonder how you ever lived without it! We ran out of sauerkraut, otherwise I would have added a big pile of that on there too, but we ran out…so you know real life stuff. You can use whatever greens and veggies you have on hand. Leftover roasted veggies would be great, too!
Instant Pot Or Crockpot
We love our Instant Pot since it cuts down on cooking times, but this honey garlic chicken can also be made in the crockpot just as easily. Use whichever you have or prefer. Either way, you will end up with delicious shredded chicken that you can use to pair with whatever veggies, greens or sides you prefer! I’m thinking now that it would be a great one to stuff sweet potatoes or squash with. I’m making a mental note to try that out real soon!
More Instant Pot protein options
- INSTANT POT WHOLE30 PULLED PORK WITH BBQ SAUCE (PALEO + WHOLE30)
- BEEF BARBACOA (PALEO, WHOLE30 + KETO)
- CHICKEN TINGA (PALEO, WHOLE30 + KETO)
- INSTANT POT SLOPPY JOE’S (PALEO + WHOLE30)
Your Turn To Try Our Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
Go ahead and bust out either your Instant Pot or Crockpot and make this honey garlic chicken! Then, take a photo and show us what you paired it with. Tag us on Instagram @realsimplegood, so we can see! Also, let us know what you think by leaving a comment below. And make sure to give us a follow if you don’t already – let’s stay connected!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe (Paleo, GF + Refined Sugar-Free)
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated on a microplane
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, diced (the white and green parts are used in separate steps – green parts to garnish when you serve)
- Place chicken in the bottom of the instant pot.
- In a bowl whisk together the coconut aminos, honey, fish sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and the white parts of the green onions.
- Pour the sauce mixture on top of the chicken. Cook in the instant pot on the manual setting for 22 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook in the crockpot on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Manually release the instant pot. Once the pressure has released, remove the lid and shred the chicken with two forks.