This easy to prepare recipe features a tangy Italian dressing that gives this Instant Pot Italian beef an extra flavor kick you’re sure to love. Make it in your slow cooker or Instant pot, either way you’ll end up with a delicious batch of savory shredded Italian beef.
What kind of roast is best for this recipe?
This recipe really will work with just about any beef roast. It’s especially made for the cheaper cuts of beef roasts like a pot roast or bottom round. These cuts have marbling throughout the meat that breaks down in cooking for juicy, flavorful shredded beef. A brisket will work as well, and will result in a “richer” flavor profile.
The Italian “dressing”
When we first tried this recipe, I cooked the roast in the dressing, hoping to really get the Italian flavor into the meat. Unfortunately, it didn’t exactly turn out that way. It was kind of bland. So instead of cooking the meat with the dressing, I decided to toss the dressing with the shredded beef after cooking. Using this method results in much better flavor and you really can taste the tangy, peppery and herby notes that the Italian dressing adds.
How should I serve this Italian Beef?
Depending on your dietary wants and needs, this is a really versatile recipe. You can keep it low carb and serve it with cauliflower rice or greens. Stuffed in a regular or sweet potato would be great too, or over some white rice. Also, you could go the traditional route and make a sandwich. Whatever you choose, I know you’ll love the flavor of this Italian beef!
Some other Instant pot recipes to try
- Easy Harissa Chicken
- Mexican Shredded Beef
- Instant Pot Sloppy Joe’s
- White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
- BBQ Pulled Chicken
Your turn to try this Instant Pot Italian Beef
Go ahead and whip up this recipe and dig into some delicious Italian shredded beef! No matter how you serve it, you’ll be digging into seconds and enjoying the flavorful Italian dressing. Leave a comment below, and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood, so we can check it out. And make sure to give us a follow if you don’t already – let’s stay connected!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Instant Pot Italian Beef (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto)
- 4 lb beef roast, (we used a chuck roast but a bottom round, pot roast, shoulder or brisket would work too)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp ghee, (or coconut oil for dairy free)
- 1 cup beef broth
For the seasoning:
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ground pepper
For the Italian Dressing:
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar, (can sub pepperoncini juice from jar)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 jar pepperoncini peppers, drained & chopped , (12 oz jar)
- Dice onion and cut roast into 2 inch cubes. Prepare seasoning mix by mixing seasonings in a small bowl.
- Season the beef cubes with the seasoning mix. Toss to coat on all sides.
- Press the sauté button on the instant pot and add ghee. Once hot, add in the beef cubes and brown them on all sides. Press cancel on the instant pot once the beef is browned.
- Add the onions to the instant pot and pour in the beef broth.
- Secure the lid on the instant pot and close the pressure valve. Press the “manual” button (or “pressure cook” button) and set the time to cook for 30 minutes at high pressure. Once the time is up, let the pressure naturally release on its own for 20 minutes.
- While the beef is cooking, prepare the Italian dressing by combining all of the seasoning ingredients in a bowl and mixing well.
- When the beef is finished, manually release any remaining pressure and remove the lid. Remove the beef and shred it with two forks. Discard the broth from the Instant Pot (you can save it for beef broth if desired).
- Place the beef back into the Instant Pot and press the Saute button. Pour the Italian dressing in with the beef and mix. Saute for 3-4 minutes, or until the dressing and peppers are warmed through. Serve and enjoy.
My Best friend sent me this recipe and I adore this recipe!!!! Easy , delish beyond compare and served with coleslaw! Thank you to my BFF and thank you for this creation!!!!
A definite Winner!!!!!
So happy you love this one! Thank you to your friend for sharing us with you, and thanks to you for giving our recipe a try. We appreciate you coming back to leave a review! 🙂
Delicious! I used a top round roast cooked in the crockpot all day (7-8 hours). I added the pepperoncini on top of the meat and then realized that wasn’t supposed to go in til the end. It worked out fine. I toasted buns and added cheese on top for the rest of the family. I kept mine low carb by eating it by itself with a side of broccoli.
So happy to hear it was a hit for you and your family! Thanks so much for giving our recipe a try and for coming back to share how it went! 🙂
So easy and so good! We made bowls out of this with cauliflower rice, roasted broccoli, peppers and onions, and giardinera.
Sounds delicious, we love how versatile this recipe is. Thanks for taking the time to come back and leave a review, we appreciate it 🙂
My husband grew up in Chicago. This Italian beef is spot on what he grew up eating. Husband is happy, and I hope there’s enough left for me! It’s super delicious and will definitely have a permanent spot on my menu!
I love hearing that Jessica, thanks for taking the time to come back and leave a rating and review 🙂
So easy and so delicious!
We ate it with risotto!
Glad you enjoyed this one May! Thanks for coming back to leave a rating and review, we appreciate it 🙂
This is such an easy and delicious recipe! I am such a nervous nelly in the kitchen and this felt like something I could atleast have a chance of pulling off! It was a HUGE HIT and I cannot wait to now work my way through all of your recipes! We added it to a traditional bolio roll, used the beef broth as au jus plus some additional hot peppers as toppings! I just cannot rave about this recipe enough. The added bonus of the recipes you create and share is that even if you don’t follow a Keto/ Paleo/ Whole 30 lifestyle, they are versatile and offer tasty and healthier options! Thank you for making my family think I’m a chef and giving us happy and full tummies!
So happy to hear this was a hit for you Jamie! We hope you find some more recipes you love 🙂
This beef is insanely easy and so delicious! We had ours on toasted hoagies with pepper jack cheese, but I can also confess—it’s just as good straight from the Tupperware as a midnight snack. 🙂
Sounds delicious either way 🙂
Delicious! Can’t wait to make it again!
Glad you enjoyed the recipe Susan :).
This recipe will be my go-to Chicago-style italian beef recipe! I served it on soft rolls for those who wanted them.
The white vinegar and lemon juice in the final step should not be skipped! Yum!
Love that Kathy, thank you!