This low-carb beef stew recipe requires just 15 minutes of preparation! It’s super easy to make, whether in an Instant Pot or on the stovetop. It’s loaded with low carb veggies including radishes, celery and mushrooms and tender beef chuck roast. Seasoned simply with Italian seasoning for added depth of flavor.
Looking for more keto recipes? Check out this roundup post of 35+ Amazing Keto Recipes.
Making This Low Carb Beef Stew in the Instant Pot
We love to make this low carb beef stew in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker. It’s such an easy way to make a hearty stew and results in tender, fall apart beef. Here’s what you’ll do:
- Prep the veggies, stew meat and broth to have everything ready.
- Brown the beef in the Instant Pot using the “Saute” function.
- Dump the remaining ingredients in and cook at high pressure for 25 minutes.
- Thicken the stew with a little broth and arrowroot mixture.
- Add in the mushrooms to simmer and then serve.
Making this stew on the stovetop
You can also make this beef stew on the stove in a big dutch oven or large pot. We still like to brown the beef, and then cook the veggies down a bit before adding in the broth. Once you’ve got everything in the pot, you’ll simmer it for about 40 minutes to marry the flavors and tenderize the meat.
What low carb veggies are best for a Keto stew?
When you think of a beef stew, we bet you think of potatoes, carrots and celery. Sadly, potatoes and carrots are not low carb, so we’ve come up with some other options for you that feel hearty. Here’s what you’ll use in this recipe:
- Radishes – Surprisingly mild and potato like once cooked, these are a great low carb veggie.
These are the veggies we recommend, but feel free to substitute others if that’s what you want or have on hand.
Some other Keto beef recipes to try
- QUICK AND EASY CARNE ASADA RECIPE
- INSTANT POT ITALIAN BEEF
- WHOLE30 PALEO MEATLOAF
- EASY CURRY BEEF BOWLS RECIPE
- MEXICAN SHREDDED BEEF
- BUNLESS BURGER RECIPE
Time to try this low carb, Italian flavored beef stew
Whether you are meal prepping or just making dinner to feed your family, enjoy this Keto beef stew for a hearty and satisfying meal. Leave a comment and rating below to let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram, and tag us @realsimplegood. We love to see what you’re making! Follow us if you don’t already – let’s stay connected!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Keto Beef Stew (Stovetop or Instant Pot)
- 2 lbs (907.18 g) beef chuck roast, cut into 1 inch cubes, (or pre-cut stew meat)
- 1 tsp (1 tsp ) sea salt
- 1 tsp (1 tsp ) pepper
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp ) ghee, divided, (or coconut oil for dairy free)
- 1 lb (453.59 g) radishes, trimmed and cut in half, (cut into even sizes for cooking)
- 6 ribs (6 ribs) celery, sliced into small pieces
- 8 oz (226.8 g) mushrooms, halved
- 6 cups (1.44 kg) beef broth
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp (1 bsp) Italian seasoning
For the Stovetop:
- Prep chuck roast as noted and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prep radishes and celery and as noted. Set aside.
- Mix beef broth and tomato paste together in a bowl or container. Set aside.
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat and add 1 tbsp of ghee. Once the pot is shimmering, add in beef cubes to cover the bottom of the pot (you may need to do two batches). Cook and brown the beef cubes for about 2 minutes per side. Remove and place on a plate.
- Add another tbsp of ghee to the pot. Add in the radishes, celery and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.
- Pour the broth mixture into the pot, scraping up any remaining bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the beef pieces into the pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes of simmering, carefully remove 1/2 to 1 cup of broth from the stew with a spoon or measuring cup. Place the broth in a bowl and add in 1 tbsp arrowroot starch. Whisk well to mix the starch in completely. Don't leave any clumps in the mixture.
- Add the broth/starch mixture back into the pot, along with the mushrooms. Simmer for another 10 minutes or until the beef is tender, stirring occasionally.
For the Instant Pot:
- Prep ingredients as noted in steps 1-3 above.
- Press the "Saute" button on the Instant Pot and add 1 tbsp of ghee. Once the pot is shimmering, add in beef cubes to cover the bottom of the pot (you may need to do two batches). Cook and brown the beef cubes for about 2 minutes per side.
- Once all the beef is cooked, press the "cancel" button and add the beef back in to the Instant Pot. Add the beef broth/tomato paste mixture, radish, celery and Italian seasoning to the Instant Pot.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and close the pressure valve. Press the “manual” button (or “pressure cook” button) and set the time to cook for 25 minutes at high pressure. Once the time is up, quick release the pressure. Press the "cancel" button.
- Carefully remove the lid from the Instant Pot. Carefully remove 1/2 to 1 cup of broth from the stew with a spoon or measuring cup. Place the broth in a bowl and add in 1 tbsp arrowroot starch. Whisk well to mix the starch in completely. Don't leave any clumps in the mixture.
- Press the "Saute" button. Add the broth/starch mixture from the step above back into the pot, along with the mushrooms. Simmer for another 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender and the stew has thickened, stirring occasionally.
- The total cooking time is approximately the same whether you cook this recipe in the stovetop or Instant pot.
- Nutrition facts are per serving and are an estimate provided for those following a Ketogenic or low-carb diet. See our full nutrition information disclosure here.