I love a good breakfast casserole, and this keto breakfast casserole is perfect for those of you looking to enjoy a flavorful low carb breakfast! It’s packed with some healthy veggies that add flavor and texture so you won’t be eating the same old boring casserole. Cheese is optional, so this recipe can easily be Paleo + Whole30 too!
What veggies did you sneak in this breakfast casserole?
Eating a keto/low carb diet is hard, and we’ve found it can feel pretty limiting in what vegetables you consume. Sometimes you really want the flavor of garlic and onions, you know?
The good news is, when you make a large dish like this keto breakfast casserole, per serving you are only getting a small amount of garlic and onion so it remains fairly low carb. We also added in some mushrooms, spinach and fresh sage to compliment the eggs and sausage.
To cheese or not to cheese in this low carb breakfast casserole
Cheese is really amazing, but we like providing you with options. Not everyone can tolerate dairy or might be cutting out dairy for a Whole30 or other reasons. For this recipe, the cheese is totally optional. It will turn out great either way! We added some avocado on top when we left out the cheese for a little bit of extra flavor.
Some other low carb breakfast options
Your turn to try this keto breakfast casserole
Go ahead and whip up this low carb breakfast casserole for a family brunch or to have leftovers to eat for the week. Leave a comment below to let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram! Tag us @realsimplegood so we can see, and then give us a follow if you don’t already! We’d love to stay connected!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Keto Breakfast Casserole (Paleo + Whole30 options)
- 1 lb ground sausage (can sub ground turkey or chicken)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 3 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped (or sub dried)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (omit for Whole30 or strict Paleo)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Sliced avocado (optional topping)
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Once hot add in the sausage to cook and break it into small pieces. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is browned, about 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While the sausage is cooking, chop onion, garlic, bell pepper, mushrooms, spinach and sage as noted. Shred cheese if you are using cheese.
- Grease a large baking dish with ghee.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Add the sausage, chopped veggies, cheese (if you are using cheese) salt and pepper and mix. Pour everything into the baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until eggs are set in the middle.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, cut into pieces, and serve.