This low-carb, keto-friendly chicken salad recipe uses chicken breast or thighs, 1/2 cup of avocado oil mayo, plus bacon and olives for a perfect salty crunch. And it’s made in 15 minutes or faster!
The best Keto chicken recipe
When looking for the perfect keto chicken recipe, here’s what you want:
- Easy to make
- Great for leftovers
- Versatile, you can eat it different ways
- Full of healthy fats and flavor.
This keto chicken salad recipe fits the bill on all counts!
Looking for more low carb recipes? Check out this roundup of more Amazing Keto Recipes.
Chicken salad calories and nutrition
When following the Keto diet, you don’t generally track calories too closely. But carbs and fat are important, so here are the nutrition facts per serving for this recipe:
- Calories – 535
- Protein – 31g
- Net Carbs – 1g
- Fat – 39g
What mayo and bacon should I use for this keto chicken salad?
When keeping things low-carb, you need to watch carefully for products with added sugar in them. That’s why we prefer specific brands of avocado oil mayo and no-sugar bacon for this recipe. Here are our top recommendations:
- Avocado Oil Mayonnaise:
How to make chicken salad
Making this chicken salad recipe doesn’t require much effort, it’s as easy as 1,2,3!
- Cook and chop or shred your chicken and bacon
- Chop your fresh ingredients
- Mix in the mayo and seasonings
Here are some time-saving tips to consider:
- Use the meat from a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken
- Make the chicken in a crockpot or instant pot the day before
- Cook the chicken in the oven along with the bacon on a sheet pan. This method is best for a chopped chicken salad (not shredded).
- Prep all of the other ingredients while the chicken and bacon are cooking
5 ways to use Keto Chicken Salad
Chicken salad can be used so many ways, here are some ideas:
- Chicken salad lettuce wraps
- Stuffed in an avocado
- On top of a green salad
- In a sandwich with your choice of bread (Paleo or Keto)
- As a dip for veggies and/or apples
Also, you can totally eat it with a fork right out of the fridge! No judgement here :).
How to meal prep chicken salad
This recipe is perfect for meal prep! It keeps well in the fridge for at least 5 days and you can utilize it in many ways. We like chicken salad for meal prep because it actually gets better the day after you make it!
If you’re looking for all of our expert meal prep tips, check out our full post on How to Meal Prep.
Can you freeze chicken salad?
Speaking of meal prep, you might be wondering if you can freeze chicken salad.
You can make chicken salad and freeze it, but the mayo will separate and make the salad watery. If you want to save time and get the best tasting results, here’s what we suggest:
- Cook and shred/chop the chicken and bacon.
- Mix in all the remaining ingredients except the mayo, mustard and lemon juice.
- Place everything in a container or freezer bag. We like to use Glasslock containers.
- When you’re ready, thaw the chicken salad overnight in the refrigerator. Drain any excess water or juice.
- Mix in the mayo, mustard and lemon juice. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
More healthy chicken salad recipes to try
- QUICK + EASY BLT CHICKEN SALAD
- CHICKEN SALAD STUFFED AVOCADOS
- PALEO CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD
- PEAR AND ALMOND CHICKEN SALAD WRAPS
- CHICKEN AVOCADO SALAD WITH BACON
Your turn to try this keto chicken salad
Go ahead and add this keto chicken salad to your meal plan for the week. Then, get creative and enjoy the leftovers any way you want! Leave a comment to let us know how it goes and take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood, we love to see what you’re making!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Homemade Keto Chicken Salad Recipe
- 6 pieces bacon, diced
- 4 cups shredded chicken or other leftover chicken, (see recipe notes)
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped pistachios, (optional topping)
- Dice bacon and heat a pan over medium heat. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is brown and starting to get crispy. Remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- While bacon is cooking, cut up celery and olives and place them in a bowl.
- Add shredded chicken to the bowl along with the lemon juice, mustard, mayo and chopped dill. Add the bacon in and mix will to incorporate. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- For optimal taste, refrigerate for 1-2 hours to completely cool and allow the flavors to combine. Serve with optional chopped pistachios if desired and enjoy.
Delicious and super easy!
I used Kalamata olives and served in butter lettuce leaves for a chicken salad wrap. The pistachios add a yummy crunch.
Great dinner for a hot summer night.
So glad you enjoyed this one! Hope you’re staying cool with all the crazy heat right now.
Was not a fan of the dill flavor. Think I will make it without next time and see what happen.
Hopefully the change suits your taste 🙂
I made this and really enjoyed it. Being on keto, it’s hard to find great tasting dishes and this definitely was. Will definitely make again and again.
So happy to hear you enjoyed the recipe! We hope you find some more on our site :).
What can I replace the olives with to keep the fat count? Please advise
Maybe just add more mayo or top it with an avocado?
Love this recipe, al my fav ingredients are used. Can’t wait to make this often this summer!
We hope you love it! Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! 🙂
What is the serving size?
The serving size is approximately 1 cup of chicken salad.
Wow! Very impressive list. I will take some time to study these. Thanks.
This chicken salad is delicious. The addition of dill just makes it pop with flavor. I could eat this probably every dang day! Yum.
HI! Quick question. Is the calorie count per serving at 1060 or should that be divided out for 4 servings coming in at 265? Thanks!
All of the nutrition facts are per serving.
i THINK YOU FORGOT TO PUT AVOCADO IN THE INGREDIENTS! i GOT HOME AND DIDN’T HAVE WHAT I NEEDED! 🙁
Nope, sorry about that! You’re all good. Our first run at the recipe called for avocado but we took it out and used just mayo instead. It’s updated now to remove the avocado from the instructions. Our apologies for the confusion. Hope you enjoy the recipe!