An easy to make, 5-minute taco seasoning recipe that’s low-carb and keto friendly! You’ll get the best tasting low-carb tacos with this simple homemade seasoning mix made with common household spices.
Keeping taco seasoning low carb
If you truly want a low-carb taco seasoning, you need to make it yourself. Most of the taco packets you’ll find at the store contain unnecessary fillers like corn, corn syrup, sugar and silicon dioxide. Even though these ingredients are in small amounts, they increase the carbs in the seasoning unnecessarily.
What you need to make keto taco seasoning
Just a handful of seasonings that are (hopefully) already in your pantry:
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt + pepper
That’s it! Just combine the seasonings in a bowl or jar and get to making some keto tacos!
Some keto taco recipe ideas
We like to keep it simple, so here is an easy formula to follow to make different versions of keto tacos.
- Pick a protein – Chicken, beef, shrimp, salmon. Cook your protein and season it liberally with this homemade keto taco seasoning.
- Pick a shell – Cabbage, romaine and bibb lettuce are all good low-carb tortilla replacement options.
- Add some toppings – Avocado, cheese, sliced radish or cilantro are good low-carb options. Don’t forget a dollop of some of our magical Chipotle Aioli sauce!
Following this formula, you can just mix up the ingredients to have a different kind of taco anytime.
Some other homemade spice blends
We love making our own seasonings at home so much, we wrote another full blog post with 10 Easy DIY Spice Blend recipes! Be sure to check it out for some other easy, unique and flavorful homemade seasoning mixes.
Your turn to make taco seasoning keto friendly
Whip up a batch of this easy taco seasoning for your next low-carb taco night! Use it in place of those pre-made packets from the store and you’ll be amazed by how easy and flavorful the seasoning is.
If you try the recipe, be sure to add a comment and rating below to let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram and tag us @realsimplegood. We love to see it when you make our recipes!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Keto Taco Seasoning
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika, (smoked or regular)
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, (optional, omit or adjust to fit desired spice level)
- Mix all of the seasonings together in a bowl or jar. The mixture can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- To use, brown 2 lbs ground beef (or chicken or turkey) in a skillet over medium heat. When the meat is 3/4 of the way cooked, add in the taco seasoning and mix to coat the meat. If desired, you can add a little water to the pan (about 1/4 cup). Simmer until the meat is completely cooked.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- This recipe makes 4.5 tbsp of taco seasoning. It is recommended to use about 2.25 tbsp per pound of meat, so use the entire amount for 2 lbs of meat and 1/2 of the seasoning for one pound of meat.
- Nutrition information is calculated per serving. For this recipe it is calculated as two tsp of seasoning mix per serving. This equates to 6 servings for the entire recipe. If you make 2 pounds of meat, that equates to a serving size of 1/3 pound of finished taco meat.
- Nutrition facts are an estimate provided for those following a Ketogenic or low-carb diet. See our full nutrition information disclosure here.
Loveee. The recipe calls for two pounds but I prefer extra seasoning and use it for one pound of meat for tacos.
Perfect, glad you enjoy this seasoning mix!