A weeknight dinner win! This quick and easy kimchi soup recipe uses only 7 healthy ingredients and is packed full of satisfying flavors. The recipe uses ground pork, but is versatile and just as tasty with ground chicken or turkey.
How to make kimchi soup
This recipe is really about as easy as it gets! Here are the steps:
- Brown the ground pork in a stockpot or dutch oven
- Prep the other ingredients while the pork is cooking
- Add in the aromatics and cook for a couple of minutes with the pork
- Mix in the bone broth and kimchi and let it simmer for 10 minutes
Looking for more? We have a bunch of healthy soup recipes!
Specifically, we have more :
Be sure to click around to discover some new favorites!
What is kimchi made of?
Kimchi is a traditional Korean side dish made from salted and fermented vegetables. It is most typically made with cabbage, radish, garlic, onion and other seasonings and spices like ginger and chili flakes or powder.
Not only is kimchi delicious and flavorful, it’s full of good bacteria from the fermentation process as well as vitamins and antioxidants. There are 100’s of different varieties of kimchi made with different vegetables and spices for a wide range of tastes and flavors.
Is kimchi keto friendly?
There are many varieties of kimchi made with different ingredients so not all types are keto friendly. You will need to read the labels to check for total carbs and make sure it falls in line with your dietary needs.
A lot of brands use sugar in the fermentation process, so be on the lookout for any added sugars which will increase the net carb amounts.
Here are a few of our favorite kimchi brands:
Wildbrine Korean Kimchi (keto friendly) – This is a very tasty mix that’s a bit on the spicy side.
Firefly Kitchens Kimchi (keto friendly) – A mild version that’s also vegan because it doesn’t use any fish sauce.
Lucky Foods Seoul Kimchi – They use sugar in the fermentation process so these have a few carbs per serving. This brand has several different flavor options to try and can be ordered through Amazon.
INGREDIENT TIP: If you are looking for a quality bone broth to use in this recipe, check out our comprehensive bone broth review post.
Meal Planning + Prep
This kimchi soup is a great option for meal prep! You can make a big pot in under 30 minutes over the weekend and use the leftovers for lunches or dinners during the week.
This soup will also last for about a week in the refrigerator. To reheat, simply toss it in the microwave (with a paper towel cover to prevent splattering) to warm it up. Or you can just reheat it in a pan on the stove.
It’s also freezer friendly if that’s your preferred method for meal prep. Just freeze the soup and let it thaw out in the fridge when you are ready to heat it up and eat it.
Your Turn To Try Our Kimchi Soup
Got a busy weeknight coming up? Or want to meal prep some lunches to take to work? Make this kimchi soup! It’s super quick and easy to make, just 25 minutes! Leave a comment below to let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram! Tag us @realsimplegood so we can see, we love to see what you’re cooking!
25 Minute Kimchi Soup (Keto Friendly)
- 1 lb ground pork (can sub ground chicken or turkey or even any leftover pork)
- 4 green onions, diced (the white and green parts are used in separate steps)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated on a microplane
- 1/2 cup kimchi juice (approximate, just use whatever you can drain from the jar)
- 2 cups kimchi (drained and roughly chopped)
- 4 cups beef broth
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat and add pork. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pork is almost cooked through, about 6-7 minutes.
- While the pork is cooking, prepare the onions, garlic, ginger and kimchi as noted.
- When the pork is almost browned, add in the white part of the green onions, garlic and ginger. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the kimchi, kimchi juice and beef broth and bring the pot to a low boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with diced green onion. Serve and enjoy.