Do you love recipes bursting with flavor, yet with few ingredients? I used to scour sites for recipes with seven or less ingredients. If there aren’t a ton of ingredients, it can’t take that long to prep and make, which means more time for enjoying other things. This lemon oregano chicken flies in right under the radar with only six ingredients, two of which are salt and pepper, so basically there are four ingredients. Talk about an easy weeknight dinner!
Head to your kitchen and gather some chicken (we love to make this one with thighs and sometimes we add drumsticks into the mix too), avocado oil, oregano, lemon, salt, and pepper. Yep, that’s all you’ll need to get this chicken cooking and onto your plate in less than 30 minutes. From the moment you place your chicken in your pan and hear the crackle as it hits the hot oil, to pulling it out of the oven a short while later, you’ll be itching to plate your dinner. It’s so simple, yet so satisfying.
Do you cook with avocado oil? We love it! It’s better for cooking with hotter temps because the smoke point is much higher than olive oil, and it is full of healthy fats. The high smoke point will help your chicken to brown and get a little crispy on the outside. Then, you’ll finish cooking it in the oven. I even broiled it for a few minutes at the end just to add to the crispiness of the skin on the drumsticks.
The citrus of the lemon and pungent scent and strong taste of the oregano pair so well together. This lemon oregano chicken is fragrant and sharp. You’ll be wondering why you never paired the two together before. We like eating this chicken with a bed of greens and a little white rice or cauliflower rice. We just end up mixing it all together, and it is quite delicious.
Give this lemon oregano chicken a try, and let us know how it goes by leaving a comment below. Tag us on Instagram @realsimplegood so we can check it out!
Lemon Oregano Chicken (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1.5 lbs chicken - we prefer thighs and sometimes add in extra drumsticks
- Salt + pepper
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 lemon - one half sliced into rounds the other half for squeezing the juice onto the chicken
- Heat a cast iron skillet, or other oven safe pan, over medium heat with your avocado oil. Just let the oil heat up for a few minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Once your skillet is hot, add your chicken and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Let the chicken cook for a bit (about 7-8 minutes until the bottom sides brown a little). The chicken will stick a little to your pan. I just use tongs to poke things around and detach the chicken from the pan as needed.
- Once the bottoms are browned, flip your chicken over and sprinkle the new topside with more salt and pepper. Then, add the oregano, squeeze a little lemon juice over the chicken and top with your lemon slices.
- Use hot pads to remove your skillet from the oven and carefully transfer it to the oven. Cook for 12-15 more minutes until the chicken is done.