With veggies in abundance this time of year, why not throw some on the grill? If you haven’t tried marinated grilled vegetables before, now is the perfect time to start. Really, it’s as easy as 1, 2, 3.
- Get some fresh veggies from your garden, farmers market or local store.
- Cut them up and place on a hot grill for quick cooking.
- Toss them in our simple and healthy marinade before serving and dig in!
A 5 ingredient vegetable marinade
We love simple and healthy sauces, marinades and dressings. Here’s what you’ll need for this one:
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Garlic powder
- Dried basil
- Lemon juice
Just mix these ingredients with a little salt and pepper and you have a delicious dressing for your grilled vegetables.
PRO TIP: Toss your vegetables in the marinade AFTER grilling. Cooked vegetables absorb the flavors much better than raw.
Tips for grilling vegetables
I’ve provided a combination of vegetables in the recipe card, but you can really grill any veggie you want. Here are some grilling tips:
- Cut the veggies into large pieces (large enough so they don’t fall through the grill grate)
- Alternatively, you can cut the veggies smaller and use a grill pan or grill basket to place them on the grill
- Don’t overcook them – A lot of vegetables will get soft and mushy when overcooked
- Toss with a little oil and salt and pepper before grilling, then use the marinade dressing after grilling for the best flavor
But what if I don’t have a grill?
No grill? No problem! Just place the veggies on a sheet pan and roast at 400° Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes. Follow the other instructions as noted and just toss the veggies in the marinade after they are cooked.
If you don’t have a grill or don’t feel like heating up your grill this is a great option. It is also an easy way to clean out your fridge and do some healthy meal prep over the weekend.
What to serve with healthy grilled vegetables
We are big meat eaters and love grilling, so we usually pair these veggies with some sort of steak or chicken. They go great with:
Some other options for serving these vegetables are:
- As a side for any leftover protein
- As part of a appetizer platter (they are great cold the next day)
- Tossed with some pasta
- Spooned over some toasted bread
- Added to some scrambled eggs
Your turn to try this grilled vegetable salad
It’s time to get the grill going and celebrate the fresh flavors of summer! Give this easy grilled vegetable recipe a try and leave a comment below and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood, we love to see what you’re cooking!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Healthy Grilled Vegetable Marinade
- 1 medium zucchini – sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1 red onion – sliced into rings
- 1 bell pepper – top and seeds removed and sliced into strips
- 1 cup mushrooms – halved
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 eggplant – sliced into bite sized pieces
For the marinade:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Chop up all of the vegetables and heat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a bowl or jar and set aside.
- Place vegetables in a large bowl or on a sheet pan. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle very lightly with salt and pepper (about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp each). Toss to coat. If desired, use a grill pan to help prevent the veggies from falling through the grill.
- Place veggies on the grill to cook, about 5-6 minutes per side. You want the veggies to get a nice char from the grill, but pull them off before they get too soft.
- Remove veggies from the grill and place them in a bowl (you can use the same bowl you used earlier). Pour the marinade over the veggies and gently toss to coat.
- Allow the veggies to sit for 5 minutes to soak up the flavors. Serve and enjoy.