Pull out your skillet (or a square baking dish will also do) and make this healthy mixed berry crisp. We used blackberries, blueberries and raspberries and topped it with a salty-sweet crumbly mixture. You’re going to love this oat-free and gluten-free berry crisp!
Swaps you can make for the topping
We created this recipe so you could use various options in the topping to fit your dietary needs. Here are some swaps you can make to tailor it to your needs:
- Cassava flour or almond flour will work (if you use almond flour see the note on ghee/coconut oil below).
- Either maple sugar or coconut sugar will do the trick.
- If you use almond flour, you’ll only need 1/4 cup ghee or coconut oil.
- You can use ghee or coconut oil to keep it Vegan friendly. Either way use it at room temperature.
- If you are trying to stay nut-free, opt for cassava flour and then instead of using chopped nuts, use coconut flakes.
How to make a healthy berry crisp
It’s really easy! There are just three basic steps.
- You just toss the berry mixture ingredients, and then put them in a skillet or baking dish (round, square…whatever you have handy).
- Combine the topping ingredients in a bowl and sprinkle on top of the berries.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. Let cool a bit and serve! We love it with dairy-free ice cream on top.
What are the best berries to use in this mixed berry crisp?
The best berries to use are the ones you either have on hand or can get easily. This recipe is all about simplicity and no fuss. We really love the combination of blackberries, blueberries and raspberries. Strawberries would work, but they’d require more effort because you’d have to hull and slice them. So, whatever berries sound good to you, go for it!
Other desserts + treats to try
- COFFEE CAKE MUFFINS (PALEO, VEGAN + NUT-FREE OPTION)
- HEALTHY STRAWBERRY CRUMBLE (PALEO + VEGAN)
- EDIBLE COOKIE DOUGH RECIPE (PALEO, NUT-FREE + VEGAN)
- STRAWBERRY CRUMBLE BARS (PALEO, DAIRY-FREE + REFINED SUGAR-FREE)
- CHOCOLATE CHIP PECAN COOKIES (PALEO, GF + DAIRY-FREE)
- CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BARS (PALEO, GF + DAIRY-FREE)
Time to give this healthy mixed berry crisp a try!
This healthy dessert is easy to make and will hit the spot! Give our mixed berry crisp a try and let us know how it goes! Rate and review this recipe below in the comments. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram and tag us @realsimplegood in your post! We love to see what you’re making!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Healthy, Oven-Baked Mixed Berry Crisp
For the berry filling:
For the crisp topping:
- 1/2 cup (60 g) cassava flour, (or almond flour, cassava is nut-free)
- 1/3 cup (78.86 g) maple sugar, (or coconut sugar)
- 1/3 cup (60 g) ghee, room temperature, (or coconut oil for Vegan. If you use almond flour only use 1/4 cup ghee/coconut oil)
- 1/4 tsp (1/4 tsp) sea salt
- 1 cup (144 g) nuts, chopped, (we used pecans. For nut free you could use coconut flakes)
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahreheit.
- Place all of the berry filling ingredients in a mixing bowl, toss to combine and place in baking dish or oven-safe skillet.
- Re-use the same mixing bowl and add all of the crumble topping ingredients, except for the chopped nuts. Use a fork to combine the mixture until it gets crumbly.
- Stir in the chopped nuts, and sprinkle crumble on top of the berry mixture.
- Place in the oven, and bake for 10-15 minutes, until berries are just heated through so they don't get overly mushy. They'll continue to soften after removed from the oven.
- Remove and serve. It goes great with a scoop of vanilla coconut milk ice cream. Enjoy!