We haven’t made a breakfast casserole in a while and decided to try a new recipe out on a recent trip so we could feed a big group of people. This hearty breakfast turned out to be big hit with the group! Even though most people don’t eat parsnips, we got a ton of compliments on the flavor of this sausage parsnip breakfast casserole. The best part was, it was easy to make with only five ingredients and we even had some leftovers to snack on the next day.
If you haven’t tried using parsnips as a potato substitute, you should really try them out. They have a slightly sweet flavor that goes really well with eggs and sausage or bacon. Plus, casseroles are an easy way to make breakfast for the whole family (or more) and fit a lot of nutrition all in one dish. They are even great for preparing the night before and simply cooking in the morning while you get ready for the day.
I guess you should put it on your list to make this hearty casserole sometime soon, huh?
If you try out this recipe, let us know what you think by leaving a comment below and adding a rating. Also, take a picture and tag it on Instagram #realsimplegood so we can check it out!
Sausage Parsnip Breakfast Casserole (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto)
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage
- 1 medium parsnip, grated
- 1-1/2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cups greens (spinach, kale, chard)
- 12 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned.
- While the sausage is cooking, grate the parsnip and chop up the mushrooms to have them ready.
- Also, crack your eggs into a large bowl (you will be adding everything else to this bowl later) and whisk them well.
- Once the sausage is browned, remove from the skillet and set aside in a bowl for later.
- In the same pan, add in the parsnip, mushrooms and greens. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for five minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the cooked vegetables and sausage to the bowl with the eggs and mix to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture into a 7x11 baking dish and place it in the preheated oven. Cook for 35-40 minutes (until the eggs are cooked through) and let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy your breakfast and any leftovers.
Nutrition (per serving)