Originally published September 10, 2015. Last updated January 10, 2020.
With only a handful of simple ingredients, these sausage stuffed portobello mushrooms are a quick and easy low carb dinner option. No matter what sausage you use, you’ll love the flavor of this healthy Paleo and Whole30 meal!
How do you make sausage stuffed portobello mushrooms?
You’d think it would be hard to make such a delicious meal, but it’s actually very easy. The hardest part is carefully scooping out the stem and “ribs” of the portobello. Here are a few tips for that:
- Be very gentle when handling the mushrooms. They are soft and tend to flake around the edges.
- Use a sharp knife to cut off the stem at the base of the mushroom.
- Gently scrape the “ribs” of the mushroom out with a spoon.
- Wipe off the mushroom with a napkin to remove any dirt or debris.
- Here’s a visual of the process.
What do you stuff these mushrooms with?
We decided to keep this sausage stuffed portobello mushroom recipe simple with only onions, peppers, sausage and sage to make the stuffing. However, you can really put whatever you are in the mood for into this dish. Just add ingredients and stuff away to your heart’s content. Some ideas for other ingredients:
- Chopped artichoke hearts
- Pesto sauce
- Shredded cheese (but not for Whole30 or strict Paleo)
Where do you find Whole30 compliant sausage?
We used our homemade country breakfast sausage for this recipe and the stuffed mushrooms turned out really great. If you don’t want to make your own sausage, here are some good Whole30 compliant options:
- Pederson’s Natural Farms Breakfast, Italian or Chorizo sausage.
- Jones Dairy Farm Pork Sausage Roll.
- Mulay’s Breakfast or Chorizo sausage.
Some other mushroom based recipes you might like
- Garlic and Sage Brown Butter Mushrooms
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Easy Salisbury Steak
- Mushroom, Spinach and Bacon Egg Muffins
- Creamy Bacon Mushroom Chicken Skillet
- Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Your turn to try these sausage stuffed portobello mushrooms
If you’re looking for an easy low carb weeknight dinner, give this recipe a try let us know what you think! Leave a comment below, and share a pic on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood, and make sure to give us a follow if you don’t already. Let’s stay connected!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto)
- 2 lbs ground sausage (regular breakfast sausage or Italian)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, finely diced (or sub dried)
- 4-6 large Portobello mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit and chop onions, peppers and sage as noted.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add in the sausage and onion to cook. Break the sausage into bits and cook for approximately 10-12 minutes, until the pork is browned and cooked through. Stir in the green pepper and sage when the pork is almost finished and then remove the pan from heat once the sausage is browned.
- While the sausage is cooking, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop out the stem and ribs of the Portobellos and place them on the baking sheet.
- Scoop the sausage mixture into the mushrooms, filling them completely. You may have some leftover sausage mixture.
- Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow the mushrooms to cool for a minute and then serve.