One of the things we’ve realized going paleo is that most traditional appetizer options are off the table for those following the paleo diet. No chips and dip, cheese and crackers, potato wedges, meat and cheese platters or even seemingly paleo options like wings or meatballs because they usually have sauces with secret, sugary ingredients. But instead of giving up and only snacking on fruit trays or veggie platters, we have taken up the challenge and continue to figure out new ways to create healthy appetizers that everyone can enjoy.
This seven layer dip cuts out the sour cream and cheese you’d find in a traditional seven layer dip but it still packs on the flavor. You’ll dip away into bites filled with shredded chicken, avocado, tomato, olives, onion and bacon. Yes, bacon!
Dig in and load up some plantain chips, celery sticks or carrots with this tasty dip. Or, you can even scoop out a bunch on a plate and eat it with a fork, we’ve definitely been guilty of that. Just don’t get discouraged by the so-called lack of appetizer options on the paleo diet. Mix this seven layer dip into your appetizer rotation along with our paleo ranch chicken dip, pear and bacon bites, chunky guacamole and mayo free deviled eggs to add some variety in addition to your standard fruit or veggie platter.
If you make this dip, we’d love to hear what you think about it. Leave a comment and rating below and don’t forget to take a picture and tag us on Instagram @realsimplegood so we can find it!
Seven Layer Dip (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 jar paleo salsa (~16 ounces)
- 8 slices bacon - diced
- Avocado - diced
- 1 jar olives - sliced
- Onion or leek - diced finely
- Tomatoes - diced
- Jalapeno - sliced (optional)
- Place the chicken thighs and jar of salsa in your crockpot. Cook on high for 3 hours. Once finished, place the chicken on a cutting board and shred with two forks. Place in a container in the refrigerator to cool for an hour.
- Place a pan over medium heat. Add in the bacon and cook until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate to cool.
- Chop up your tomatoes, olives, avocado and onions.
- In a casserole dish, spread half of the chicken in a layer along the bottom. Follow with a layer of onion, then a layer of olives, a layer of tomatoes and another layer of chicken. Top with the avocados and bacon. Add on some jalapeños if you want to spice it up.
- Serve with plantain chips, veggies or any other dipping option you choose!