We have a little confession to make today. Sometimes when we try out recipes for the first time we have no idea how they’ll turn out. It’s funny how some things sound great as a recipe idea but don’t turn out that well while other ideas just sort of come together on a whim to make a perfect new recipe.
Fortunately, this shredded beef stew recipe is one of the latter.
Erica had the idea to make a stew but we didn’t have any plans for exactly what would go in it. With some experimentation and a little luck, we ended up with this:
Don’t you want to grab a spoon and dig in?
Instead of using traditional chopped stew meat we used a chuck roast we had on hand and shredded the roast to create a shredded beef stew. It was perfect because we cooked the roast in the crock pot and were able to use all of the leftover juices for the stew, adding some serious meaty flavor.
Including the beef and broth, this shredded beef stew only has seven ingredients so it is very simple and easy to make. The cooking time is long, but it is only about 15 minutes of active cooking time to get this hearty stew that is a meal in a bowl.
This is a great recipe to make over the weekend and have a batch of leftovers ready to warm up for a quick and hearty meal. You’ll be full, warm and happy after filling up on this stew.
If you try out this recipe, let us know what you think by leaving a comment below and adding a rating. Also, take a picture and tag it on Instagram #realsimplegood so we can check it out!
Shredded Beef Stew
- 3 lbs grass fed bone in chuck roast
- 2 cups chicken stock or beef broth
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 carrots, - chopped
- 1 leek, - chopped
- 5 medium white or sweet potatoes, - chopped
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- Salt & Pepper
- Season your chuck roast liberally with salt and pepper.
- Place it in the crock pot and add in your broth. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Once finished, remove the beef onto a cutting board. Shred with two forks.
- Reserve broth from the crock pot, but strain out any excess fat or other large bits.
- Heat a medium stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add in your oil, leeks and carrots with a little salt and pepper. Cook for five minutes.
- Next, add in the shredded beef, leftover broth, potatoes, parsley and tapioca flour.
- If the stew is too thick, just add some water. If it is too thin, add a little more flour.
- Simmer for one hour and serve.
Delicious! Used some already cooked and shredded beef plus CSA vegetables. Hubby and I both liked it.
So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thanks for coming back to leave a rating and review 🙂