This simple mulled wine recipe will make you feel all warm and fuzzy. It’s the perfect warm, spiced beverage for any holiday gathering or event! Mulled wine gets its rich, fragrant flavor from the addition of spices and some citrus and can be made with a quick simmer on the stove or in your slow cooker. If you are looking for a delicious holiday drink this simple mulled wine recipe is a must try!
Disclaimer: We partnered with Heritage Distilling Company to bring you this post. We only work with companies and brands we truly believe in and use ourselves. Therefore, all opinions and recipes are entirely our own. Thank you for supporting Real Simple Good and our partners.
Tis The Season
Now that Halloween has passed, I feel like the “true” holiday season has officially arrived! It’s such a special time of year, and we truly love this season filled with good food, drinks and Thanksgiving and Christmas get togethers with friends and family. Holidays for us are typically very food focused, with all of the special effort going into the main course, appetizers, desserts, etc. However, this year we are adding some more drink-related fun to the celebration with some of this mulled wine!
It’s Wine With A Little Kick
We kicked this simple mulled wine recipe up a notch with a little extra booze from one of the mini-bottles in the Heritage Distilling Spirits Advent Calendar**. This calendar is a fun little holiday box that is filled with 24 small airplane-sized bottles (50ml) of 11 different kinds of spirits. Of all the bourbons, whiskeys, vodkas and gins in the box, we decided that the brown sugar bourbon was the perfect addition to this warm holiday drink.
Spread The Holiday Cheer
Are you looking for a unique gift or stocking stuffer this holiday season? The Heritage Distilling Spirits Advent Calendar** is a fun way to spread some holiday cheer! You could give one for a gift, bring it in to share with co-workers and/or use some bottles for stocking stuffers. Or, you could just keep the box to yourself and try a bunch of different flavors of spirits! We wouldn’t judge you if you did that. You can order online and save $10 off any advent calendar with the discount code RSG10!**
Your Turn To Try This Simple Mulled Wine Recipe
The start of the holiday season is here, and if you are looking for a fun holiday beverage, this warm and cozy mulled wine recipe is just for you! You’ll love how easy it is to make and your guests will enjoy the special taste of this boozy, spicy and citrusy holiday beverage. If you give this recipe a try please leave a comment below and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic and share. Tag us on Instagram @realsimplegood, and give us a follow too if you don’t already!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Simple Mulled Wine Recipe (Stove Top or Slow Cooker)
- 1 bottle red wine, (malbec, syrah or any red blend work well)
- 2 cups raw apple cider
- 2 oranges, (1 optional for garnish)
- 1 apple
- 8 whole cloves
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks, (plus more for garnish – optional)
- 4 whole star anise, (plus more for garnish – optional)
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup, (optional)
- 1/4 cup Heritage distilling Brown Sugar Bourbon, (vodka works too)
For the stovetop:
- Slice one orange into rounds, discard end pieces. Slice apple into rounds, discard end pieces and remove core.
- Place all ingredients (except optional garnish items) into a pot on the stovetop. Heat at medium-high heat until the liquid just barely starts to simmer then immediately reduce heat to low. Don’t allow the liquid to boil, you just want a low heat to marry the flavors. Cover and let the wine simmer for at least 15 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- While the wine is simmering, prepare additional orange for garnish (optional). Slice orange into wedges or simply use a strip of orange peel for garnish.
- Pour wine through a strainer into cups for serving. Garnish with any optional items and enjoy!
For the slow-cooker:
- Follow step #1 above.
- Place all ingredients (except optional garnish items) into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 1 hour. After one hour you can keep the slow cooker going on low or “keep warm” if it has that function.
- Follow steps 3-4 above for serving.
**Due to state laws, spirits are not allowed to be shipped to all states. Please check the Heritage Distilling website for further details.