I don’t think I’ll ever tire of this Paleo + Whole30 slow cooker teriyaki chicken! It is an easy weeknight dinner or meal prep recipe. This healthy teriyaki chicken recipe is sure to be a new favorite and something you add to you regular rotation as an easy dinner the whole family loves!
Keeping It Whole30
If you have ever made a traditional teriyaki sauce or marinade at home then you know it not only includes soy, but also loads of sugar! Yikes! So…to make our slow cooker teriyaki chicken Whole30 compliant and healthier, we used coconut aminos (which naturally has a hint of sweetness to it and replaces the soy sauce) and dates. Our teriyaki sauce tastes authentic while keeping it clean. Also, when you go to turn this into a bowl meal, make sure to use cauliflower rice for Whole30.
Slow Cooker Or Instant Pot
We have made this slow cooker teriyaki chicken in both our Crockpot and Instant Pot, and we provide instructions for cooking in either of these handy kitchen devices. It’s really just a matter of how much time you have and whichever option you have on hand. Either way, you’re going to love the saucy goodness and how much the chicken soaks up the sauce and retains the flavors.
Optional Sauce Thickener
Once your Crockpot or Instant Pot is finished cooking the chicken, and if you prefer a thick sauce to drizzle over everything, you can add the sauce from the Crockpot or Instant Pot to a sauce pan and thicken it up with a mixture of tapioca starch and water. Heat the sauce on medium-high until it just begins to bubble, then turn down and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. You’ll have a thick and gooey sauce to spoon over your chicken and veggies or bowl – because you know we turn this into a bowl meal! Duh.
Some Other Slow Cooker + Instant Pot Recipes To Try
Your Turn To Try Our Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
Whether you need an easy weeknight meal or just want to meal prep some food over the weekend, make this slow cooker teriyaki chicken! If you’re like us, it will become part of your regular rotation! Leave a comment below to let us know how it goes, and take a photo to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood. Make sure to give us a follow, so we can stay connected!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken (Paleo + Whole30)
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
For the teriyaki sauce:
- 3/4 cup coconut aminos
- 4 pitted dates, soaked for 10-15 minutes in warm water to soften then drained
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated on a microplane
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- White or cauli rice (cauli rice for Whole30)
- Mixed greens
- Sesame seeds
- Green onion diced
Optional (to thicken sauce):
- 1 tsp tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp water
For the slow cooker:
- Place all of the sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor and run continuously to combine all the ingredients until smooth. Stop to scrape sides down as needed and restart.
- Place chicken thighs in the slow cooker and pour the teriyaki sauce over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
For the Instant Pot:
- Make teriyaki sauce as noted above.
- Place chicken thighs in the Instant Pot and pour the teriyaki sauce over the chicken.
- Secure the lid on the instant pot and close the pressure valve. Press the "manual" button (or "pressure cook" button) and set the time to cook for 20 minutes at high pressure. Once the time is up, quick release the pressure.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare cauli or white rice for serving.
- Once the chicken is finished cooking, shred it with 2 forks inside the slow cooker or Instant Pot. Mix the shredded chicken with the cooking juices. Spoon some of the remaining teriyaki sauce over the chicken when serving.
- Serve and sprinkle with chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
Optional (to thicken sauce):
- If you want a thicker teriyaki sauce for serving perform the following steps after shredding the chicken.
- Remove shredded chicken from the crockpot or instant pot with a slotted spoon. Pour remaining sauce into a small saucepan.
- Mix tapioca starch into the water until it dissolves. Pour this into the saucepan and mix.
- Heat on medium-high until it just begins to bubble, then turn down and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Spoon sauce over chicken for serving.