This easy recipe for blackened mahi mahi comes together quickly! Seasoned with a simple homemade cajun-style spice mix, the fish turns out smoky, savory, and so good! Serve the seasoned fish with any veggie or add it to tacos, salads, bowls, and more – the options are endless.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out more of our healthy seafood recipes, including this quick & easy blackened shrimp.
How to cook blackened mahi mahi on the stovetop
Cooking this recipe on the stove top is really, really easy! And fast!
- Mix up the easy homemade cajun seasoning mix and cover the mahi mahi all over with the seasoning.
- Heat up a skillet to medium high heat with oil and let it get nice and hot.
- Add the fish in and let it cook undisturbed for about 4 minutes to develop a nice, blackened crust.
- Flip the fish and cook it on the other side until it is cooked through and opaque throughout.
That’s it! Serve the mahi mahi with any side, we love it with these sautéed mushrooms and asparagus!
Can you bake this mahi mahi recipe instead of frying?
We prefer to make blackened mahi mahi on the stovetop to get a nice “crust” on the fish, but you can absolutely make this recipe in the oven!
Just season the fish as noted in the recipe and bake it in the oven at 400° Fahrenheit for 14-16 minutes. Different sized fillets will cook differently, so adjust the cooking time as needed if you are using larger or smaller fillets.
This recipe roundup has 10 Delicious, Healthy Fish & Seafood Recipes!
The homemade blackened fish seasoning
You’ll likely already have all the seasonings in your spice drawer or cabinet. The combination of savory, smoky and spicy are just right. Here’s what we used.
- Garlic Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Onion Powder
- Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper (you can use more or less of this to achieve your desired level of spicy)
Related – Check out this post about 10 easy DIY spice blends and find a new favorite.
Recommended sides for this recipe
- With any grilled or roasted veggies
- Served over some rice or cauliflower rice
- Make some fish tacos with corn or grain-free tortillas, like Siete.
- Served alongside some rich and creamy coleslaw
- Paired with any of these healthy summer salads
It’s your turn to make the best blackened mahi mahi
Whip up the easy homemade seasoning and get a delicious dinner on the table in about 15 minutes! Your family will rave about the amazing flavor from the cajun-style spice mix.
If you try it, be sure to leave a rating and comment below and let us know how it goes. Also, take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood, we love to see what you’re cooking!
The Best (15-Minute!) Blackened Mahi Mahi
- 4 mahi mahi fillets
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, (or butter or ghee)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
For the cajun seasoning mix:
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Cayenne, to taste, (optional)
- Combine all of the cajun seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pat fish dry with a paper towel. Season filets liberally with the seasoning mixture, patting it in to the fish.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil to the pan. Once hot, add fish to pan and let cook undisturbed for 3-4 minutes until a crust forms on the underside.
- Flip and continue to cook undisturbed until fish is opaque and cooked through (another 2-5 minutes, depending on the size of fillets).
- Remove from heat and serve. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over fish.