An easy instant pot recipe for juicy and tender shredded beef, you’ll be amazed by how many different ways you can serve this beef! 5-ingredients make for easy prep and the Instant Pot does all the work for you.
Making shredded beef in the Instant Pot
The Instant Pot makes fork tender, shreddable beef with minimal effort. Here’s how you’ll make it:
- Cut the beef into 2×2 inch chunks and add it to the Instant Pot.
- Make the easy seasoning mix.
- Toss the beef with a little oil and coat the cubes with the seasonings.
- Using the Saute function, sear the beef cubes on all sides to lock in the juices.
- Pour in the broth and pressure cook the beef for 30 minutes with a 20 minute natural release.
- Shred the beef right in the Instant Pot with the cooking juices.
Looking for more? Check out all of our Instant Pot recipes here.
Versatile ways to serve this easy shredded beef
Our favorite thing about this recipe is how versatile it is. You can make a big batch on the weekend and eat it all week and never get tired of it! Here are some ideas:
- Shredded beef tacos (lettuce, corn or grain-free tortillas)
- With some crispy oven roasted spanish potatoes
- Mixed with some scrambled eggs for breakfast
- Make it a bowl with some greens, avocado and pan fried plantains
- With some fresh chopped veggies for a quick stir-fry
- Keep it low carb and serve with some cauliflower rice, roasted radishes or air fryer cauliflower
- With some wilted greens and topped with your choice of Whole30 sauces
- Stuffed in a baked potato or sweet potato
Leftover beef storage and reheating
Since this recipe makes a lot of shredded beef, you will likely have leftovers. Here are some storage and reheating tips:
- You can store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- I recommend dumping all the juices from the Instant Pot in with the beef for storage, as it will keep it from drying out when you reheat it (see reheating notes below).
- You can also freeze the beef. Use either a vacuum sealer or airtight glasslock/pyrex container to maximize freshness.
- Scoop the shredded beef with some of the solidified juices into a skillet over medium heat. Saute until most of the juices have evaporated.
- Set oven to broil and line a sheet pan for easy cleanup. Dump the shredded beef with the solidified juices into the pan. Broil for 5-8 minutes, watching carefully and stirring the pan if needed.
Your turn to make this easy Instant Pot recipe
Meal prep a big batch of this shredded beef and get creative making it into different meals all week long! You’ll be surprised by how much flavor you get with the simple seasonings and cooking method in this recipe.
If you make it, be sure to leave a comment to let us know how it goes and take a pic to share on Instagram. Tag us @realsimplegood, we love to see what you’re making!
Like this Recipe?
SHARE IT NOW OR PIN IT FOR LATER!
Versatile, 5-Ingredient Instant Pot Shredded Beef
- 4 lb (1.81 kg) chuck roast, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) salt
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) pepper
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) garlic powder
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) onion powder
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) chili powder
- 2-3 tbsp (2-3 tbsp) avocado oil, divided
- 1 cup (235 g) beef or chicken broth
For the Instant Pot
- Cut beef into cubes and place the cubes in the Instant Pot. Prepare seasoning rub by mixing all of the seasonings together in a ramekin or small bowl.
- Drizzle 1-2 tbsp of avocado oil on the beef cubes and toss with a spoon to coat.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the beef, flipping the pieces over and stirring to try and cover as much of the beef as possible.
- Press the sauté button on the Instant Pot. Drizzle in some more avocado oil to coat the bottom of the pot.
- Once the pot is hot, sear the beef pieces on all sides in the Instant Pot. You'll need to use a wooden spoon or tongs to flip the pieces and move them around. Just sear for 1-2 minutes on all sides to completely brown the pieces.
- Press cancel on the Instant Pot once the beef is browned. Pour the broth into the Instant Pot.
- Secure the lid on the and close the pressure valve. Press the “manual” button (or “pressure cook” button) and set the time to cook for 30 minutes at high pressure. Once the time is up, let the pressure naturally release on its own for 20 minutes.
- Manually release any remaining pressure and remove the lid. Shred the beef with two forks either in the Instant Pot juices or remove the pieces and shred them on a cutting board.
- Serve and enjoy or refrigerate/freeze for later.
For the slow cooker:
- Cut beef into cubes and place the cubes in a bowl. Prepare seasoning rub by mixing all of the seasonings together in a ramekin or small bowl.
- Follow steps 2-3 above to coat and season the beef.
- Heat a pan on the stove over medium heat and add 1-2 tbsp avocado oil. Once hot, add the beef pieces and sear on each side for 1-2 minutes.
- Once the beef is seared, dump the pieces in the slow cooker. Pour the broth in with the beef.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-10 hours.
- Shred the beef with two forks either in the slow cooker juices or remove the pieces and shred them on a cutting board.
- Serve and enjoy or refrigerate/freeze for later.
This made my boys happy! Used a 2 pound roast in the instant pot, need to go 20 more min to make it tender. Still a keeper!
If I increase recipe to a 6 pound roast cut in 2 inch cubes, do I need to increase pressure cooking time in IP?
No, you can use the same cooking time as long as the beef is cut into cubes. The IP will take longer to pressurize, but that’s just an FYI.
The beef came out so tender and juicy! Will be using this recipe as a go to from now on!
Perfect, so happy to hear that! Thanks for coming back to leave a review, we appreciate it 🙂
Can you leave the roast whole and get the same result?
No. I’ve found the best way to get shreddable roast is this method. If you must leave it whole, you have to double the cooking time to 60 minutes with the same natural release. This will work, but it might not shred as easy as with the cubes and shorter cooking time.
What a great recipe and with so little ingredients!!! I loved it!! Thank you! ❤️❤️
You’re very welcome! Thanks for coming back to leave a review, we appreciate it 🙂
I made this tonight using a 2.1 on beef chuck. I saute in a separate pan because I just find it easier, but other than that I followed recipe exactly. It’s delicious! Tonight we served in buns with BBQ sauce, tomorrow in using the leftover meat to make rolled tacos.
Love that you’re finding multiple uses for it! Thanks for coming back to leave a review 😊
So easy and delicious!! I added a small can green chilies for extra flavor and it came out perfect! Definitely a keeper. Thanks!
Amazing! So happy this one was a hit for you! Thanks for coming back to share how it went and leaving a review. We appreciate it! 🙂
Oh my goodness! I’ve never made shredded beef before but the IP has changed my life and this will be in the regular rotation. My roast was only 1.6lbs so I did the 1/2 recipe version. So tasty!
Happy to hear that Laura! Thanks for coming back to leave a review, we appreciate it 🙂
Delicious and so easy!
Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for coming back to leave a rating and review, we appreciate it 🙂
Glad you enjoyed the recipe, thanks for coming back to leave a rating and review 🙂