With a little honey for a touch of sweet and some red pepper flakes for a hint of spice, this stir fry is filled with tons of flavor to get your taste buds going. We love making up a good stir fry for dinner because we can load it up with whatever protein we have on hand and fill it with fresh vegetables. For this stir fry we used steak, but you could easily substitute chicken, shrimp, pork or whatever protein you have available to mix in with the vegetables. No matter what protein you choose, with this recipe the end result will be a healthy, flavorful, protein-packed, filling, loaded with veggies bowl (or plate) full of goodness.
This recipe is easy to execute, with just a little bit of work up-front to chop up your steak and vegetables to get them ready to cook. After that, you’ll just cook up everything up in a hot skillet, adding in the different ingredients throughout the cooking process to get everything cooked to perfection in the end. The result is a flavorful and filling dish with just the right amount of sweet and spicy.
If you try out this recipe, let us know what you think by leaving a comment below and adding a rating. Also, take a picture and tag it on Instagram #realsimplegood so we can check it out!
Enjoy this hearty stir fry!
SWEET AND SPICY STIR FRY
- 1 lb grass-fed flank or skirt steak - sliced into thin strips (about 1 inch x 1/2 inch)
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tsp onion powder
- 1 Tsp pepper
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1 shallot - diced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 lb brussels sprouts - shaved
- 1-1/2 cups mushrooms - chopped
- 1-1/2 cups broccoli florets - chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cup celery - chopped
- 1 green onion - chopped
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 Tsp fish sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp honey (adjust for your desired level of sweetness 1 for less 2 for more)
- 1-2 Tsp red pepper flakes (adjust for your desired level of spiciness 1 for less 2 for more)
- Start by slicing up your steak into thin strips and placing it in a bowl. Season the steak with the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Mix up the seasoning and steak well to coat. Set aside.
- Next, chop up the shallot, garlic, brussels sprouts, mushrooms, celery and green onion.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add in the sesame oil, shallot and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the brussels sprouts, apple cider vinegar and fish sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The brussels will just be starting to soften.
- Add in the steak, mushrooms, broccoli, celery, honey and red pepper flakes. Cook for about another 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the steak is cooked. NOTE: If you substitute another protein in for the steak, adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure that the meat is cooked through. The steak will cook quicker than other proteins like chicken.
- Serve and enjoy this sweet and spicy stir fry.