Fall is here and winter squash and pears are in full swing. Since we try to eat as many fruits and vegetables that are in season as we can, we have been getting a healthy dose of a couple of our fall favorites – bosc pears and delicata squash. Are you now trying to picture what this type of pear and squash look like?
Here are a couple of visuals to help, courtesy of Epicurious:
Did you figure out which was which?
Ok, let me help you out – bosc pears are #2 and delicata squash are #9. You can click on the pictures above to read two very informative articles explaining the characteristics of the different types of pears and squash from Epicurious.
Since we’ve been eating these a lot separately we had a brilliant idea – Why not combine them with some chicken, bacon, rosemary and a touch of cayenne pepper to make a one pan meal? That’s exactly what we did for this pear and squash chicken skillet and we have to say it turned out pretty amazing.
The sweet flavor of the pear and squash combined with the savory/salty bacon and chicken is a delectable combination. Not to mention the touch of cayenne pepper gives the dish a mild kick to wake up your taste buds.
All of that flavor in one pan and it’s ready in only 45 minutes! You have to try this one out, we guarantee you’ll love this unique and savory dish full of fresh fall flavors.
If you do try out this recipe, let us know what you think by leaving a comment below and adding a rating. Also, take a picture and tag it on Instagram #realsimplegood so we can check it out!
- 6 strips bacon, diced
- 1 delicata squash
- 1 bosc (or other crispy) pear, sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 small sprig of fresh rosemary, chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 organic chicken breasts
- Salt & pepper (to season the chicken)
- Start by heating a cast iron pan or other oven safe skillet over medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, toss in the diced bacon to cook. Cook it for 6-8 minutes until it is just starting to get cooked around the edges and then remove it and place on a paper towel lined plate. It will cook the rest of the way in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the pear into slices and place it in a large bowl.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Cut crosswise into ¼-inch slices. Toss in the bowl with pears.
- Add in the, oil, rosemary, cayenne pepper and ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper to the bowl. Mix everything together to coat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Once the bacon is cooked, remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Pour off excess bacon grease if desired, but leave some in to cook the chicken in. Place the chicken in the skillet to brown. Cook for five minutes and flip, cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Add in the squash and pear mixture to the skillet around and over the chicken (it will be pretty full). Sprinkle the bacon on top.
- Carefully transfer the skillet to the oven.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.