Do you ever want the flavors of take-out, but wish it was much healthier?! This spaghetti squash chicken chow mein is legit! It’s got all of the flavors you’d hope for, and it is made with spaghetti squash rather than pasta noodles, so it is totally grain-free and Paleo, too!
We packed a ton of flavor into this dish, including garlic, ginger, maple, coconut aminos, fish sauce, and a touch of hot sauce. Plus, there are tons of veggies, too! The hardest and most time consuming part is waiting for the spaghetti squash to cook. You’ll just want to get straight to eating this spaghetti squash chicken chow mein. Rest assured, it is worth the wait! You’ll have plenty of leftovers too, so you can consider this one a gift that keeps on giving! I mean, it’s almost the holidays, right?! We are clearly already in the giving mood!
So Many Veggies Packed Into One Dish
We also love this spaghetti squash chicken chow mein because you get so many veggies in one dish. It really is a complete meal. You will find the combination of squash, celery, cabbage, carrots, and green onion mixed with the chicken for protein to be a very satisfying and filling meal. Plus, you can eat it in a bowl, which is our favorite way to eat!
Your Turn To Enjoy Our Spaghetti Squash Chicken Chow Mein
Ok, now it’s your turn. Go ahead and make this spaghetti squash chicken chow mein for a healthier and cleaner version of take-out. Let us know how it goes by leaving a comment below. Also, take a photo and tag us on Instagram @realsimplegood, so we can check it out!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? CLICK HERE TO PIN IT AND TRY IT LATER!
Spaghetti Squash Chicken Chow Mein (Paleo + GF)
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts or thighs, sliced into small pieces
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 green onions, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cups cole slaw mix, (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and place the halves facing down on the baking pan to cook for 30 minutes.
While the squash is cooking:
- In a small bowl, whisk together coconut aminos, fish sauce, garlic, maple syrup, ginger, and hot sauce. Set aside.
- Cut up chicken and season with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add in sesame oil. Once hot, add chicken and cook until it is cooked through and slightly browned, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cut up onion, celery, and slaw to have them ready.
Once the squash is done:
- Scoop out flesh of the squash with a fork so it breaks apart into strings, set aside.
- Heat the same pan you used for the chicken over medium heat. Add more sesame oil if necessary and add onion and celery to cook. Cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the slaw mix until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Add in spaghetti squash, chicken, and sauce mixture to the pan and stir until well everything is well combined and the chicken is warmed, about 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.