If you are like us and have a zucchini plant in your garden, you are probably looking for some creative ways to use up all that zucchini you have right now. So how about switching up your normal taco night with a healthy version of taco zucchini boats? These are a great way to get some taco-packed flavors in a healthy form and use that fresh zucchini in a creative way. Plus, you are getting a meal with fresh vegetables and all the toppings you like. It’s a win-win.
These can be ready to eat in about 30 minutes and you can top them with whatever goodies you’d like. We used ground beef seasoned with our taco seasoning, but you could use chicken or turkey for this recipe as well. We piled ours high with onions, tomato, avocado, cilantro and salsa, making them a pretty big mouthful. If you are patient and let them cool off for a minute after pulling them out of the oven, you can cut them into pieces to pick up and eat with your hands. That way you can get a good bite filled with all the taco meat and toppings.
If you try out this recipe, let us know what you think by leaving a comment below and adding a rating. Also, take a picture and tag it on Instagram #realsimplegood so we can check it out!
Side note – Have you guys checked out Yummly yet? We just signed up there and created a realsimplegood page. Check it out, it’s a great place to find new recipes to try out and save your favorites (like this one) to your own recipe box. It’s really easy to add our recipes, just click the Yum button on any of the images on our blog to add the recipe to your own personal recipe box on Yummly.
Now go make these simple and healthy taco zucchini boats!
Taco Zucchini Boats (Paleo, Whole30 + Keto)
- 3 small zucchini
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Prepare taco seasoning by adding all seasoning ingredients to a small bowl or jar and mixing well. Chop onion and bell pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the ground beef and onion to the pan to brown. Cook, stirring occasionally until browned about 6-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut zucchini in halves or quarters and scoop out the seeds to form a trough in the zucchini and set them aside on your baking sheet.
- Once the beef is almost cooked, add in the peppers and taco seasoning and stir everything together.
- Once the meat is cooked, fill up the zucchini boats with the meat mixture.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 18 minutes. Prepare toppings while the boats are baking.
- Remove from the oven and cool for a couple minutes, then plate your boats and add the toppings.